Notices

Introduction

Old 01-01-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello all. I live in the UK and have been an alcoholic for many years. I started drinking at about 12,but not everday. My mum is an alcoholic. I rarely drink in the mornings and I've always been able to hold down a job. I'm 39 this month.

I quit for 5 months a couple of years ago and wrongly assumed that I could drink like a normal person. I went to a Christmas do and that was that. Straight back on it every day. I can quite happily get through 2 strong cans of cider and 3 bottles of wine every night.

I have a wife and 3 kids. I want to live without drink. I drunk last night till about 1 am. I made the decision that last night will be my last drink. I decided this about a month ago.

I'm not new to quitting and I have failed many times, but I think I have the tools and experience now and I'm ready.

I would have introduced myself earlier however I didn't want to mention anything about drinking over the Christmas period to anyone on here as I'm well aware that this can be the hardest time of the year for some.

Thanks for reading and I hope I can make some life long friends on here during my fight.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Earth Child

have you tried AA or smart recovery its good that you want to stop this destructiveness that drinking can lead to
AA has helped me am 6 weeks without anything and i finding it hard yes but with support from AA you can do it also i d get in touch with your dr about there can be risks stopping drinking like seizures and other things as well
Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. There is an AA at the top of my road. I will certainly join if I start to struggle, though I'm not the religious type so will try and avoid if I can.

I had only heard of smart since reading through this site, and this seems much more suitable for me.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Paperbag and welcome to SR

Well done on deciding to quit it's the best decision you will ever make. You will find loads of support and great advice here, it is really helpful to put together a plan of how exactly you intend to get/stay sober putting some particular thought into what you are going to do to overcome cravings etc.

Good luck on your journey!!

H.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can get sober in AA whether you are religious, agnostic or atheist. All you have to accept is that there is a power greater than you - alcohol is more powerful than you isn’t it?
Old 01-01-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome paperbag

Getting sober can be tough and staying that way can be even tougher - use everything you have at your disposal I reckon.

See how you go but why not wander up the end of your road and check it out - if you don't like it, at least then you know it's not for you?

D
Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad you found your way here and that you are taking this step in a positive direction. Glad you can find loads of support here in addition to whatever other measures you are putting in place.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR paperbag
Old 01-01-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome to SR Paperbag!

I hope you post a lot and read a lot here. There's a January month daily recovery class starting -- I'll post a link: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7088065 -- The class-of-the-month is a great way to bond, if you're not already posting there.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Paperbag. I’m from the UK too.

Your wine consumption sounds the same as mine. Three bottles of red a night plus “top ups” (G&T, Guinness, Lager). I think you suggest that you’ve been an every night drinker like me too? Man we’re killing ourselves.

Hope you join the January class.

Regards,

JT
Old 01-01-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Paperbag. You will find a lot of support on this site, but why not check out a meeting or two. I found that AA is a group of people that all share something in common, a desire to not drink again. I just think it may give you some additional tools to help you be sucessful, if you dislike it or it’s not for you, no harm. Good luck to you.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like you want to do right by your family. We are about the same age and I too knew I wanted to get sober for my wife and especially my kids. Check out the book Rational Recovery, I'm not an AA guy and it contained many useful tools for me. Though I'll also say there's nothing wrong with a meeting here and there too to be around people fighting your same fight.

Congrats on choosing to get your life back, I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything in the world. There is a better life waiting for you.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!