Notices

Managing withdrawal symptoms

Old 12-30-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Managing withdrawal symptoms

How do/did you guys manage your withdrawal symptoms? Any advice or tips to not feel sick?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's not really much you can do to alleviate the symptoms of w/d. Drink lots of water/juice. Eat food that is easy to digest, like toast, crackers, soup. A soothing herbal tea can be relaxing too. I used to make chamomile tea to calm my nerves.

Mostly you just have to ride it out, unless it gets worse, then get medical help. Physical w/d only lasts a few days to a week. It's like having the flu, as far as feeling crappy.

Whatever you do, don't drink!
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

From what are you withdrawing? If it's alcohol, it would be a good idea to see your doctor and be honest about your drinking. There are meds that can help with that.

I went to a detox facility, so I didn't have any issues at all. I highly recommend doing that, if it is feasible for you.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Ditaliano16

I presume this is for your partner?

The best thing to do, bar none, is see a Dr. There's no real way not to feel badly when withdrawing but a Drs input can help, and make it safe.

D
Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it is! He went to the hospital to detox about 3 times in the past 2 months. He’s waiting for a bed at a rehab to open
Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
There's not really much you can do to alleviate the symptoms of w/d. Drink lots of water/juice. Eat food that is easy to digest, like toast, crackers, soup. A soothing herbal tea can be relaxing too. I used to make chamomile tea to calm my nerves.

Mostly you just have to ride it out, unless it gets worse, then get medical help. Physical w/d only lasts a few days to a week. It's like having the flu, as far as feeling crappy.

Whatever you do, don't drink!

Thanks! It’s for my boyfriend who is stubborn.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As has been stated, medical supervision for detoxing from alcohol is highly recommended. Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal, and the fall off the cliff is quick and hard to spot. DTs aren't something to toy with, and if he's been detoxed several times in the recent months, I'd be aware of kindling as well.

What, specifically, is he being "stubborn" about? The long and short of the situation is that until an addict/alcoholic WANTS to change, their success rate will be really low.

Have you poked over to the Friends and Family of Alcoholics section here on the forum? Lots of support there for you as you attempt to help your boyfriend out.

Keep us posted!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you!

What is “kindling”?
Old 01-01-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Ditaliano. It is the process of which the more times someone tried to stop drinking the worse the withdrawal symptoms get.

I would definitely do your research on that. I didn't any of it until I had withdrawal symptoms and the facts are quite worrying.

I think you will find a lot of information on advice with reducing withdrawal symptoms too. There is definitely ways you can help reduce its impact on the brain and organs.

Just takes a bit of googling.

Hope he improves soon
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm currently experiencing withdrawals now. I struggle to sleep. 3rd night I been up to very early hours of the morning. Still experiencing hearing things that aren't there. It seems to get worse when I lie down too for some reason? Maybe because I'm not distracting myself and my body relaxes.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

There are many paths to healing. Choose one. If it doesn't work, try again. Reach out. There's support in many places. Detox centers, alcohol recovery counseling, etc. and http://www.al-anon.org/ for friends and family members.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

An old girlfriend's son was admitted to the hospital with stomach pains and other serious symptoms. She was telling me about how he was responding to treatment. He lost touch with reality and became uncooperative, and started having hallucinations. They had to strap him to the bed with restraints.

I said, "It sounds like he's going through alcohol withdrawal," and for the first time in the early part of our relationship, she acknowledge that he had an alcohol problem. I guess she didn't want to tell me that about her son before, and when he was admitted to the hospital, she thought it was probably something else, but the diagnosis was alcoholic pancreatitis.

Detox is an serious business. Most alcoholics I met in AA, including myself, never had to go through that, but when it gets that far, I simply cannot imagine doing it on my own. Like someone pointed out, it can also be fatal, and medical help is needed.

For most of us, well for me anyway, withdrawal was just white knuckle fighting the urges. As per the first post, I helped manage withdrawal by going to nightly meetings, and the support helped, but it was still white knuckles for a week or so. I don't think there is any way around that. I don't remember it as being fun, except in the meetings there was a lot of fun with people celebrating sobriety and encouraging each other, and that took my mind off it for a solid hour, with some residual relief that helped for hours afterwards.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ya no way around it unfortunately. One just needs to buckle in and just do it.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Sedative withdrawal is no joke. (Alcohol is a sedative). It's the withdrawal that can actually kill you, instead of just wishing you were dead.

I did medical detox with a benzo taper. They tried to do a benzo taper by sending me home with some pills and a taper schedule, but it didn't work, and if someone is really in danger of serious withdrawal (and I definitely was) it's far less dangerous to do the taper in a supervised hospital or rehab setting.

I think it's dangerous to attempt any sort of cold-turkey sedative withdrawal of any kind without consulting a doctor, preferably one with addiction experience.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was told by my detox facility medical detox can only be used at 6 month intervals and after a too many they don’t have the desired effect. ( Librium was the drug)
Just food for thought.
Be sure he wants to quit or the meds will be wasted along with a good chance of quitting.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Has he get a bed? Hope he, and you, are ok x
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In withdrawal you just got to do your time
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your replies.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
I was told by my detox facility medical detox can only be used at 6 month intervals and after a too many they don’t have the desired effect. ( Librium was the drug)
Just food for thought.
Be sure he wants to quit or the meds will be wasted along with a good chance of quitting.
Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
In withdrawal you just got to do your time
From what I've read on these boards (and I could be wrong), it seems to me that this is a prevalent attitude in the UK, where it's tougher to get detox or inpatient treatment than here in the US. It's possible that a benzo taper would have more of an effect on someone who was naive to the medication, but it can certainly be tried.

I've withdrawn cold turkey and I've done medical detox with a benzo taper; in fact I was told by two doctors that cold turkey in my case on my last binge would probably result in seizures, at best, but they couldn't say for sure. The worst withdrawal was when I was taking klonopin on top of drinking, my doc switched me to Ativan and tapered me over three days....which i've discovered since is far too fast. In any event, if I had the choice between a medical detox with a benzo taper or white knuckling it, I would ALWAYS choose the medical detox. There is still "doing your time" even with medical detox, but it was much less dangerous and got me into counselling and therapy much faster than if I'd had a week or more of horrible withdrawal.

There will be no next time. I swore I'd NEVER go through that again, even with the taper.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

He actually ended up in the hospital for a week. They did a benzo taper and meds to prevent seizures. His BAC was 480. 2 days in he was getting agitated and trying to leave. Going through delirium. He ended up in ICU and was in 2 point restraints for 24 hours and given halidol which really upset me. He’s finally home now. He’s going to start outpatient. I’m praying that he’s finally ready to live a better life that he deserves. I do not believe that he will survive another binge/detox.