Notices

Drinking and drama

Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking and drama

Just reflecting on something my therapist said a year ago. By most standards, I had a lot going on in my life at that time to be stressed and upset about. Challenging parenting issues, a medical crisis and a surgery, husband had a cancer scare, the death of a close relative, and a problem with a home construction job. All of this was going on at the same time. Yet my therapist pointed out how well I was handling all of it, just controlling what I could, going about each day being proactive, seeking support resources, and letting everything else go.

He asked if I saw a connection in that when there is no drinking, there is no drama. It made me realize how much alcohol used to cloud my thinking , and cause me to dramatize everything in my life, even the little things.

I have some things going on again in my life that would be easy to blow out of proportion. It’s not that I don’t ever get emotional or take things seriously. I do. But my emotional state passes more quickly. I am able to stay objective, keep perspective, and handle things much more responsibly in a sober state.

It was a rough day today. But there was no drinking and no drama. The storm has passed as it always does. I even looked back on some of it with a laugh. Tomorrow is a new day and it’s always one day at a time.

Except for the single Starbucks cake pop, I’m feeling particularly good about the way I handled things today and wanted to post my thoughts. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for doing this my life is a constant drama. i need to get off tis train. good for you.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree. My life is so much more calm now.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good post!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post fearless.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Excellent post thank you. Yes I dramatise everything to the extreme when drinking my councillor told me that I was way over the top. Only a week done this time but I’m looking forwards to my emotional responses calming down. 30 years of drama is enough!!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In the second half of first year, I see improvement with less drama in my head, but emotions are everywhere. More able to accept them and let them go instead of trying to drown them in wine and finding they are excellent swimmers with stamina 😳

Thanks Fearless my friend. 😍
Old 12-29-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drama is often the thing we put in our lives to fill the emptiness. I would suggest there are better things to fill what we perceive as holes.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just one cake pop? That's awesome - I have to stop at just one cup of ice cream on the kind of day you described

You are so SO spot on, fearless. The absence of drama - note: much of which I caused!- is one of the best things about my sobriety. And, I've reminded myself often over the past 3-4 mo that I would absolutely NOT have been able to handle the family drama and sadness and...we have had if I was still drinking!!!

Thanks for the great share.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very wise words indeed. I know that in our family (which I don't speak to anymore) alcohol led to arguments and drama. Such a waste of energy.