Notices

Relapse recovery

Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse recovery

I drank yesterday for no good reason. Woke up this morning determined to quit again. I wont drink today. Any advice is greatly appreciated with recovering from this slip/relapse?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Go to a meeting; stay close to SR; read your old posts and remember how miserable you were, and are again today, because you drank. Make a plan for what to do when you are craving. There are plenty of posts here to help you, but you have to be willing to put in the hard work.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Make a recovery plan to handle instances where you feel like drinking. Have some distraction planned.

I hope you can make this your last day one.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a card I carry in my wallet that lists contact names and numbers to reach out to, the very real negative consequences I could face, the possible positive outcomes I want and may well get by not drinking, and has several things listed to do that I can use to pass the time or distract myself when cravings hit. Reach out for help BEFORE you take the drink or buy the drink. An outside perspective often does wonders for talking us drunks down off the ledge.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'd get a lot of committing to a meeting based recovery method Toni.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

White knuckling the cravings was not enough for me - sometimes I won the battle but most often not...

I needed a plan - and to stay securely sober I think you need a plan too?

D
Old 12-28-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I'd look back on all the times that I'd attempted to stop drinking and failed - and I'd write down all the things I felt awful about from those times. I'd write down the things I'd sacrificed. I'd write down the feelings.....

Then I'd turn that around and write down all the things I want my life to be about, the feelings I wanted to feel, the things I'd prefer to put my time toward, the reasons I'd be honored to be sober.

Maybe spending a little time with these kind of ideas while you're in the thick of your relapse fallout could be helpful.

I watched a movie today called "Don't Worry, he won't get far on foot". That might be a good watch for you as well.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

they get worse
as does the shame and guilt-
a spiral down- ever deeper and darker,

logic is well and good but you NEED to remember this when emotions kick in

get daily support, commit yo this

support to you
Old 12-28-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every relapse for me got worse. Things I swore I wouldn’t do, became the norm, each thing I thought could be my rock bottom just changed and got even lower. Knowing that, I know I can never go back out there, if I do, I don’t know that I will come back. And being sober is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I’m doing everything I can to stay sober, meetings, SR, a sponsor, journaling, gratitude, ect I threw my self in head first to anything recovery. I have a little over 100 days, and I just continue to keep pushing forward.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

Get active in the monthly SR thread, it'll be January 2019. Post in there every day about how it's going, listen to the other people tell how they're doing, see how it's done every day, how the sober house gets built one brick at a time.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You've struggled with getting sober on your own. Stop repeating what doesn't work. Time, perhaps, for a structured program of substance abuse prevention.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found that posting here and reading SR helped me stay away from alcohol in the early days.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How's it going Toni?