Notices

Av on me please talk me down !!

Old 12-26-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Av on me please talk me down !!

On day 4 today I went out to the supermarket. I was looking and wishing I could have a few wines????? Been through hell last few days and now I actually want to do it again!!!! Don’t know if I can do this it’s strong and feel sad that I can’t have a few like others can!!! Even though it’s doused carnage in my life and pain regrets humiliation shame guilt anxiety depression sucidal thoughts!! Rehab psych ward etc. Yet I think I’d like to have a few insanity indeed go away av please please leave me alone
Old 12-26-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Eve, just be strong im on day 87 today . Yesterday I almost made today day1 again as I poured myself a drink, I sat and looked at it for around 2 hours before pouring it away. Every time I looked it I thought about everyone I would let down and chief among those was letting down myself. You need to be strong for your own sake. I am back to work tomorrow and I wont be hung over. Do something to take your mind off it, I am trying to teach myself Spanish. Be strong
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to post first.

The thoughts and craving are insistent I'm sure. You know why? Because you've given into them before and your AV is trying what has worked in the past. Stay strong. Drinking quiets the mind for a very short time. The only way for lasting success is to endure it for now, not drink, and come out of it stronger.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Eve,

Hang in there. It helped me a lot to distract myself, watching movies/TV, posting around, going to a meeting, going for a walk, whatever. It also helped me to eat sugar--ice cream, chocolate, whatever. Not the healthiest, but it helped me get through some massive cravings. I focused on being healthier after a couple of months sober.

Good for you for reaching out! Stay close. Don't drink. The cravings will pass. I've even heard of people timing them, to see how long they actually last.

If you search "urge surfing" that might give you some more ideas.

To get sober, you have to go through this part. It does get easier.

Huge hug and tons of encouragement!!!!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Remember that they are just thoughts Eve. You have absolute control over making the decision to drink or not. Having a "few" is of course a complete lie that your addiction is telling you, drinking even one will bring all the bad things right back on. Make the choice to not drink - you'll never regret that decision.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Check your H.A.L.T. triggers!!!
You might just be hungry or thirsty so get yourself a real good meal and phone a friend or go for a walk.
Play the tape forward to where you see and feel yourself sick and hungover! Do you really want another Day 1?!! Will it be worth it?!!!
Old 12-26-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this Eve. Great job posting first. Keep posting all you need until the craving passes.
You don't want to be back to day 1 tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cravings last around 9 mins remember.
If you can’t walk, crawl. Just don’t stop!
Don’t let the AV lock you in the cage.
Tell it to go to hell, you are the one in control not it.
Weather the early storm and you will come away with a few more skills to beat it next time it rears it’s ugly head.
Hang in there, it WILL pass.
You WILL be stronger for it
Old 12-26-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eve123 View Post
On day 4 today I went out to the supermarket. I was looking and wishing I could have a few wines????? Been through hell last few days and now I actually want to do it again!!!! Don’t know if I can do this it’s strong and feel sad that I can’t have a few like others can!!! Even though it’s doused carnage in my life and pain regrets humiliation shame guilt anxiety depression sucidal thoughts!! Rehab psych ward etc. Yet I think I’d like to have a few insanity indeed go away av please please leave me alone
you can do this! Sometimes when I want to drink I take a really hot shower. Or pour yourself a BIG glass of water or juice. You got this and we are all rooting for you!
Old 12-26-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't give in to your AV, eve! It is a liar and there is nothing in the world that having a drink will not make infinitely worse. It seeks and loves your self-destruction. Don't give it any power, and please don't drink. You can do this; when I have been tempted I always 'play the tape through' and realize what could happen with just one drink (and it would never be just one for me; I do not possess an off switch when it comes to alcohol.) I was as far at rock-bottom as a human being could get but something buried deep within me still had hope. I developed a strong plan of recovery and spent/spend time at SR several times a day--the amazing people here have been a great source of help and hope, and on the 23rd I have 3 years of sobriety--you can have a dignified, decent and sober life--just please don't drink. I wish you every good thing in this New Year.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here Eve - hows it going now?

D
Old 12-26-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Eve.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi eve, checking in. Please post and let us know how you are doing. Thinking of you.
Can you sit through the uncomfortable feelings and wait it out? The urges will eventually go away. No one ever died not giving in to an urge to drink. But giving in will cause all kinds of problems.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Thank you all for your messages and lovely words of support and encouragement. I got to bed sober it did pass and today going into day 5. Av was trying all its old tricks the pity pot the resentments the lies the lies the lies. Looking forwards to my day going to a show with my kids and logging on here often !! Thabks you again
Old 12-27-2018, 02:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It is the best feeling when you wake up sober and greet the new day with a happy smile!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Round 1 to eve!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eve123 View Post
Thank you all for your messages and lovely words of support and encouragement. I got to bed sober it did pass and today going into day 5. Av was trying all its old tricks the pity pot the resentments the lies the lies the lies. Looking forwards to my day going to a show with my kids and logging on here often !! Thabks you again
excellent to hear !!! You rock!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So glad for you, Eve! Stay strong. It gets better. Don’t let yourself get complacent. I was about a year and a half sober and out of nowhere I started having drinking urges again. I had some new stress in my life so I guess it wasn’t totally random. But I didn’t expect it after feeling I had “recovered” from alcoholism. I’m so glad I came back to SR instead

I hope you will stay close to SR and think of a plan for long term sobriety. Recovery is a life long journey.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So happy you made it through that, Eve!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update! Glad you made it through ok. Very happy for you!