Notices

Made it through Christmas day...

Old 12-25-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through Christmas day...

Well that's Christmas day over and I survived it.

I can't remember the last time I was sober over the festive period but if I had to guess I would say mid teens and I'm 50 now so that is a long time...

Strangely I didn't miss the drinking even though there is a large amount of alcohol in the house for my folks. I made it to 1 month sober as the day changed from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day and I think that was a big help.

If I am honest the thing I found hardest to deal with was the loneliness, the not being able to see people if I wanted to. Before I stopped drinking that would be something that would bring on a real dip in my mood and prompt me to drink to numb the sensation but this time I just rode the emotion and kept myself to myself whilst I dealt with how I was feeling and I never once considered alcohol to self medicate and make myself "feel better" so that is a lot o progress in a short space of time.

I've been attending 2 AA meetings a week and although I have yet to open up and actually share at one of them, I do leave them feeling a lot more positive and I know if I feel too bad there are people I can call for a chat. I am terrible at opening up to people which has always made my drinking that much worse but just listening to what others have to share makes me feel so much better. The flip side is that I hate phoning people if I am feeling down as I feel I should be dealing with what is going on inside my head myself and , even though they are offering to talk, I am aware they have their own demons to deal with.

But the plus side is I made it through today without having an urge to drown my sorrows (or create more, lol) and I am proud of that. Tomorrow is another day and I shall get through that too I am sure.

So until the next time I hope everyone has had a wonderful, safe and sober Christmas and thank you to you all for being here.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on today Livingonwishes.

It never occurred to me to think about an anniversary day of sobriety being a spur to not drinking. That is lovely.

I'm glad you posted here if you weren't comfortable calling people. It might not be the same but then it might be better.

I'm in the Western US so it is late afternoon. I'm done with all the family dinners and events so pretty much over the hump as far as I can tell.

No alcohol in the house and some canned spotted dick for dinner . . . . the name sounds so hilarious in American English that it is worth having just for a giggle.

Peace to you.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on making it thru the day without drinking. The longer your sober time, the easier it gets. I never get cravings to drink anymore. Sober is my normal now. My life is so much simpler, no drama or chaos. I wake up feeling good and go to bed feeling good.

I know it's hard to call people, but if they gave you their number, they must have wanted you to call. Maybe call and ask them if it's a good time to chat. That leaves them an out if they're in the middle of something and can't talk.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 12-25-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Bekindalways,

I think having an anniversary day has really helped me, aiming for that one month mark was one of the things that kept me going. I guess as time passes it will mean less but at the moment I know that Christmas Day was my one month anniversary and I will hit 5 weeks on Sunday. It kind of breaks sobriety into manageable chunks and gives me targets to aim for, although I take it a day at a time I do find the "Carrot" of reaching a mile stone does help.

If it had been my choice I wouldn't have any alcohol in the house but as I live with them it would be wrong of me to ask them to change, especially as they are doing their best to support me.

It's about 11.30pm here so nearly Boxing day and I shall be going to sleep soon but I shall be doing it with the imaged of Canned Spotted Dick in my mind, lol... When I was growing up we used to have Spotted Dick and Custard for pudding when we had school dinners.

Anyway time for me to retire so wishing you peace and happiness.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through Livingonwishes . . . Merry Xmas!!
Old 12-25-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Outstanding
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,

I feel better in myself for not drinking and I am dealing with everything else I am feeling and experiencing as it crops up.

The guys that I meet at AA are amazing and I know they mean it when they say call me but I haven't got to the point where I am comfortable just to call a stranger out of the blue. I guess it's an inbuilt thing in my psyche, I just don't feel comfortable "burdening" a stranger with my problems. I guess that as I get to know them better that will change but having only known most of them for only a few weeks it's still a big road-block for me.

But it's Boxing day and I have got this far. I've been checking out AA meetings for later today as I haven't done a Wednesday meeting yet but I will be at at least one tomorrow.

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step and my single step has brought me to a month sober and to a group of people that share my anxieties and problems and don't judge me.

Happy Boxing Day one and all....
Old 12-26-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! It's such an awesome feeling to do Christmas sober.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done ❤️
Old 12-26-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats livingonwishes

D