Notices

Has anyone quit their job to get sober?

Old 12-24-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone quit their job to get sober?

So I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get sober for 2+ years. I've gotten into minor legal trouble, gotten a divorce and yet I can't stop drinking.

My relapses ALWAYS happen when I'm traveling for work. It usually starts with some drinks on the plane (I get them free since I have status). I am required to travel pretty much every week.

I've been to inpatient and outpatient rehab. I've tried to stick with AA meetings while I'm home but it's always difficult while I'm traveling...

On my trip last week I cancelled all my meetings and went on a three day bender. I made a total ass out of myself and was lucky I didn't get kicked out of the hotel or arrested. I remember sitting in my hotel room drinking gin and thinking that this it, I'm going to die soon.

Thankfully I was able to slow down my drinking enough that I could get on a plane back home. I went through roughly 72 hours of pure hell with withdraws (anxiety, shaking & sweating).

I get really depressed every time I travel. The anxiety of air travel, loneliness of hotel rooms and the overall feeling that I'm wasting my life.

I spoke to my boss a few days ago and told him that I need to get off the road for at least a month. He agreed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has anyone else quit their job to successfully get sober?

I've got enough in savings to live comfortably for a couple years...
Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I am self employed and decided in April when a contract finished that I was not going to look for another. I went to rehab in June and started back working 3 weeks ago. All in all I took 7 months out and like yourself I could support myself financially through this time. For me it was the best decision I could have made. I used to get overwhelmed easily and always put my job before my own needs. It was time to get off the hamster wheel and just concentrate on one thing..and that was staying sober.

If you are in a lucky enough position like I was to not work then I would say grab that opportunity with both hands. The only thing I would say is you have to make your new job your sobriety. You have to make a plan and work it, no days off and no slacking. Exercise, eat well and have a solid routine. The devil makes work for idle hands as they say so just taking time off, not working a plan and treating it like your on holiday...well I know that wouldn't have worked for me anyhow.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! xx
Old 12-24-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I travel often for work. Planes, hotels, the works. There is no setting that is conducive to be successful at sobriety, it comes from within - a determination that you want sobriety more than alcohol.
I am now over 3 yrs sober, and still hang out on this site - guess what, youre never alone here!

My advice would be to take that month your boss agreed to, and go back with a new found conviction.
It's hard no doubt, the hardest work reaps the greatest rewards.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was in an extremely toxic group in an extremely toxic organization doing a job with a skill set that did not match my native abilities very well. I did this for 15 years. When I got sober, everyone on my sobriety team told me in no uncertain terms that my job was making me sick and if I went back to it I would start drinking and using again.

It's hard to reinvent yourself in your mid 50s, but I'm in the middle of doing so. And doing it sober.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

All the changes that were necessary for me in order to achieve sobriety were internal ones, not external ones.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome netrangercda

I'm glad you found us - there are several people here who travel for work and stay sober - so its possible.

I know you'll hear from them

D
Old 12-24-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's called a 'Get Well' job. And I did it in my twenties. I'd love to say it worked out, but it didn't. Kind of, no matter where I was there I was. And I wasn't ready to quit so it was all half-hearted.
I wish better results for you.