The Past is Always With Us.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Past is Always With Us.

Many years ago, about 45 or so, I did something to someone that turned out to be very hurtful to them, though I didn’t discover that they had been hurt until several years later.
My actions and their consequences have been on my mind lately, due to running into a mutual friend who asked, not knowing the circumstances, if I ever saw nameless ex-friend.
No, I replied. We have lost touch.
This happened while I was in my early twenties, and if ever there was a decade of making bad decisions, that was mine.
I was stupid about almost everything, from the mundane neglect of health and teeth, (which led to very expensive restorative dental work some years later) to believing that, yes, my ex husband would pay child support on a regular basis.
I deeply regret my actions toward this person, who was nothing but kind to me, and who, in many ways, showed me how to be a grown up.
I have been journaling about this. I have gained some clarity, but it is still with me.
I may write an amends letter that I will never send to my ex friend.
In the meantime, I have to find a way to put this monster from the past back in its box.
Journalling always helps with that, so I will keep writing until I am written out.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Many years ago, about 45 or so, I did something to someone that turned out to be very hurtful to them, though I didn’t discover that they had been hurt until several years later.
My actions and their consequences have been on my mind lately, due to running into a mutual friend who asked, not knowing the circumstances, if I ever saw nameless ex-friend.
No, I replied. We have lost touch.
This happened while I was in my early twenties, and if ever there was a decade of making bad decisions, that was mine.
I was stupid about almost everything, from the mundane neglect of health and teeth, (which led to very expensive restorative dental work some years later) to believing that, yes, my ex husband would pay child support on a regular basis.
I deeply regret my actions toward this person, who was nothing but kind to me, and who, in many ways, showed me how to be a grown up.
I have been journaling about this. I have gained some clarity, but it is still with me.
I may write an amends letter that I will never send to my ex friend.
In the meantime, I have to find a way to put this monster from the past back in its box.
Journalling always helps with that, so I will keep writing until I am written out.
I'm sorry this is plaguing you, especially this time of year. Do you think apologizing to that person directly would hurt them or you? or you do you just not have any way to contact them?

Last year a girl from my high school sent me a private message on Facebook apologizing for what she perceived as bullying me. I honestly don't know what she's talking about, I barely remembered her. I thanked her for her apology anyway and told her that I don't hold any ill feelings towards her. It seemed to make her feel better.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe my ex friend is on social media.
I just don’t know what an apology would do at this point.
Bring up the old hurt? Give them a chance to visit their anger, if there is such, on me?
I just don’t think it would make anyone, them or me, feel better.
I have to ponder this a bit.
Thanks for your input, alwayscovering.