Five Love Languages

Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Five Love Languages

There has been a lot of discussion, during the Christmas time....almost everywhere....as well as here, on SR....about gifts.
This caused me to recall a very useful book, that has gained wide popularity in recent years....."Five Languages of Love"...by Dr. Gary Chapman.....
I found it to be an easy and very practical read, when I read it, several years ago....
He proposes the 5 languages to be:
Receiving Gifts
Quality Time
Physical Touch
Acts of Service
Words of Affirmation

In general...he proposes that most of us have 2 main preferred ways (languages) that we prefer to express and receive love from others....
It is what we understand, the best.....

Lol....I imagine that this subject could be very interesting and revealing, at this time of year...lol...…
Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What if I like all 5?
Old 12-24-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL Yep I've seen this all over FB. I think it's because people get upset about the gifts they get. I learned to work around it. If I want to get something I want, I print out the picture with website or store details. I specify size/color/whatever. I used to get upset because I always thought 'we've been together for X years, why can't be pick a gift for me?' I think he can't for a couple of reasons

1. He's selfish, he's an alcoholic. He buys me gifts HE would like because he always ends up with them. Like why would I want yet another pocket knife?
2. He doesn't have any confidence in himself at all. He bought me a gift last year that I LOVE, he kept saying he wasn't sure if I was going to like it but the kids insisted that he get it.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love that book. It really helps to understand how other people tick.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thank you, dandylion!

"Notice what people do for you and thank them. The simple expression of gratitude is one of the ways that we give back to the giver. It feels good for our giving to be received and it makes us want to give again!"

My physical therapist relates it as completing an energetic circle. This especially includes accepting the gifts of positive words and compliments.

Allowing others to help us can also be a type of gift exchange. "When you can ask and accept someone’s help, you are honouring who they are and what they have to offer."
Old 12-24-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We exchange gifts the morning of Christmas eve. This year I received from H is four gift cards (one for every season) to his favorite restaurants. I guess I should be thankful for four upcoming date nights in 2019. It's the gesture that counts. I think it's his only love language of himself.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cracking up Dandylion.

I have not read it yet.

Guess what I bought a couple of days ago as a Xmas gift for myself (and another copy for a friend).

I see a pattern with my thinking around books!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

I'm still learning what love is. I'm looking at these concepts again today.

Thank you, dandy!

One day at a time.