Notices

4 months clean/sober.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 months clean/sober.

Hi everyone.. I just celebrated 4 months clean/sober this past Sunday.It hasn't been an easy journey, definetly worth it! I smoked pot for 37yrs on /off.I tried it as a 13 yr old girl, waiting for the school bus to come.Never regular, until I was 15.I got my first real b/f. He introduced me to it again and in comes alcohol as well. I was one of those who only drank on weekends, as I got older. Of course at one point that changed. On and off, I would drink The pot smoking became a constant in my life around the age of 26,27.I moved upstairs from my sister, her husband and kids. They smoked daily, eventually I picked it up again and off I went. I entered the rooms of AA when I was 29.I sat on the sidelines and listened but never joined in. It lead me to reading self help books. I soon just stopped going.Alot of stupidity and huge mistakes lead me back this past August.After having 3 people tell me in a yr, I needed help. The last straw was when a niece that I adored suggested the same, I embarrassed her and she said, she was walking away... That's what finally opened my etes/ears. She still wants nothing to do with me. I haven't let her know im on the program, because she eventually said, I no longer exist to her. Sometimes, you have to lose people to gain perspective. I got a sponsor after about 30 days of attending meetings regularly. I found a home group shortly after that. I'm working on step 3 now. Finding out so much about myself at the ripe age of 50.Im a work in progress but very grateful to be where I am in my life today. My once crumbling marriage is even getting better, as I'm realizing I have a good man with a good heart who after all I've put him through is still right by my side. When I started focusing more on the good, the negative is slipping away. He is learning to communicate better as well..I wake up each day and pray, read the daily meditations, write a gratitude list and lastly journal. I call my sponsor everyday. This is what has helped me.I also have a therapist I see every 2wks.For today, life is so much better! I recently heard someone say.. A bad day in sobriety is better than any day being drunk /high.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 4 months, and thanks for sharing your story. I was quite amazed at how much I learned about myself, and how much I still had to learn once I quit. It was like growing up all over again!

I'm willing to bet that in the long run your niece will see the positive changes you have made - actions speak far louder than words when it comes to recovery.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months sobrietyrocks, it is a really good feeling being free from all addictions and as you have said, a bad day sober/high is still better than the life we led before.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is fantastic. You should feel very proud.

You give me hope at almost 48 years old, after a lifetime of drinking and then meetings and rehab.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four months clean and sober! Keep going, it gets better.