Notices

Withdrawls?

Old 12-17-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawls?

At the end of day 1 on Sunday I had a very restless night like the my insides were restless, I can't describe the feeling fully because I haven't felt it before. Then this morning which should've been day 3 except that I drank last night, I had the same feeling. Its kinda like I can feel all my cells are vibrating but ever so slightly. I am feeling anxious as well..
Is this the start of withdrawls? Ive never had alcohol withdrawal before and am worried this might be the start?
My intake over the last 2 weeks has risen so I'm worried it is.
What is it like for people when they 1st realised they were physically addicted. What were the withdrawls like?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does sound like withdrawals. I had a lot of anxiety and felt somewhat shaky as well. Withdrawals vary from person to person and can be unpredictable. If you're concerned, it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Red,

Withdrawal can vary depending on the length/severity of your drinking and whether or not you've relapsed in the past. The first time I attempt to quit in 2014 the only symptom I remember exhibiting were night sweats for about a week or two. Less than three years later on my third (current) sobriety the withdrawal was pure torture. Shaking, seizures, sweats, spiders, DTs, and somehow the hallucinations were even worse than the physical symptoms.

It can vary greatly depending on your situation.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It does sound like withdrawals. I had a lot of anxiety and felt somewhat shaky as well. Withdrawals vary from person to person and can be unpredictable. If you're concerned, it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor.
It's a weird feeling, I don't feel shaky on the outside, as in I'm not shaking but it kinds feels like it on the inside.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back red. It's really hard to say what withdrawals might or "should" feel like as they are different for everyone. And even one individual might experience different things from one withdrawal to the next. Sometimes they get progressively worse too - the phenomenon is known as "kindling". I cycled in and out of drinking too many times to count, but early on I didn't usually have much more than just a really bad hangover when I would quit for a day or 2. Later on though, I became physically addicted too - so I'd start having heart palpitations, rapid pulse, high bp - all sorts of nasty stuff - which I never had early on.

If you are concerned, it's never a bad idea to see a doctor to assess your physical condition.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Since you've been posting to SR, you've been worried about physical addiction (convincing yourself that you're not) and wanting to use withdrawals as your "benchmark" for having a drinking problem.

You can't quit drinking. That's your problem.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate to what you're saying about restless insides. I've had the feeling as though I'm vibrating on the inside even though I'm not physically shaking at the beginning of withdrawal. It's an awful feeling that makes you want to pick up a drink to make it stop but in the end even that doesn't work to soothe the symptoms.

Just come out of the end of another episode and can honestly say I never want to go back to that place again. What everyone says about withdrawal getting progressively worse the more you do it is so true. I've been to the depths of hell during those periods where I've suffered so badly physically and mentally that I've thought I would be better off dead just to take the discomfort away.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Since you've been posting to SR, you've been worried about physical addiction (convincing yourself that you're not) and wanting to use withdrawals as your "benchmark" for having a drinking problem.

You can't quit drinking. That's your problem.
I know you're so right, that I can't stop.. I have known this for the last 20 years, however I'm a curious person and so it seems slightly paranoid so I like to hear what people have to say and what their experiences are.
I never thought that drinking like I do could lead to physical addiction, not until I came here.
The shame I would feel within myself if I became physically addicted is more than I can bare to think of.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The shame is not in being addicted, the shame is in not doing anything to correct that. If you know you're addicted, you can do something to stop it.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The shame is not in being addicted, the shame is in not doing anything to correct that. If you know you're addicted, you can do something to stop it.
I have defo been trying, this year I've had more time away from alcohol than any other time in my adult life. I just haven't committed myself fully, I think through fear of a life unknown, a life without alcohol..
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I think through fear of a life unknown, a life without alcohol..
I used to think that way too. I was an everyday binge drinker, so everything I did involved alcohol. It was quite difficult to imagine doing anything without a beer in my hand. But then I found out that alcohol was really holding me back from living my life to it's fullest. A life without alcohol is a better life.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Does sound like withdrawals. They vary person to person. Glad you’re quitting. They get progressively worse.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I know you're so right, that I can't stop.. I have known this for the last 20 years, however I'm a curious person and so it seems slightly paranoid so I like to hear what people have to say and what their experiences are.
I never thought that drinking like I do could lead to physical addiction, not until I came here.
The shame I would feel within myself if I became physically addicted is more than I can bare to think of.
It's pretty easy to develop a tolerance to a lot of things. You didn't state the amount you were drinking and how much you increased your drinking over the last two weeks, but withdrawals can be very mild to very severe. Using withdrawal symptoms as a barometer for your problem with alcohol isn't a good idea. I mean, I drank everyday so I didn't have any withdrawals, but I sure as **** was addicted to alcohol. That's not the shameful part; the shameful part was continuing the cycle.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Red,

The addiction will tell me anything to drink.

All it cares about is to drink.

When I stopped drinking for about a month I realized I had a bigger problem.

At 3 months clean, I started to think I was in trouble. Mentally I was a wreck. I found SR.

At 1 years and some change clean, I still had lingering mental issues. But, sr reminded me it will get better. Just don't drink. Physically I was still very weak as well. Relapse loomed. My analysis won.

At 2 years, I was getting physically stronger, mentally improving too. Relapse was not a consideration.

3 years plus years now without being intoxicated, game changer. Mentally and physically beginning to evolve in a big and good way.

Relapse is looming. I am an addict for life. I was starting to consider having a snort. But, SR reminds me to never drink again.

Booze's few minutes of euphoria are not worth all the mental and physical problems. I want to be fully present for the rest of my life.

I always remember....the av will tell me anything to get me to drink.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I used to think that way too. I was an everyday binge drinker, so everything I did involved alcohol. It was quite difficult to imagine doing anything without a beer in my hand. But then I found out that alcohol was really holding me back from living my life to it's fullest. A life without alcohol is a better life.
I had all the classics: sweats, leg cramps, panic attacks, the shakes, and extreme physical and emotional agitation. I needed medical help (in-patient) to detox.

I detoxed at an in-patient facility under medical supervision. I was probably at risk of a seizure due to years of daily drinking. And in the month or so prior to checking in I was probably drinking at least two bottles of wine per day and often more than that.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Red. We were wondering what happened to you in August class.

The shaking/vibrating on the inside is defo withdrawal. I know that feeling intimately. And the only thing that made it go away, and the anxiety that goes along with it, for me, was to have another drink. And then another. Rinse, repeat.

Don't fool yourself into thinking it is just a mild symptom and you can handle it. One of the posts above mentioned kindling - it's real and scary. I can promise you one thing - it is not going to stay at shaking on the inside. Please take my word for it. Your withdrawals are going to get worse, everytime you quit for a while and then start drinking again. Exponentially worse.

You've been trying for a while now. Why not give it a real go this time and come back to your August class - we miss you - and have a wonderful, sober Christmas this year?

Hugs to you ((()))
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Red?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Red, hope you are doing ok?