Notices

Morning Anxiety

Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning Anxiety

Hi all. I’m just over 6 months sober and woke up yesterday, in the wee hours of the morning, with extreme anxiety. It came out of nowhere and I haven’t had this happen since I stopped drinking.

I used self self talk to calm myself down and asked myself “why am I anxious”? I couldn’t answer that question so I’m still left wondering.

I did practice gratitude as I was feeling anxious (thanks Least for always posting about that) and I think that helped.

It it was definitely a weird sneak attack from my old pal anxiety. Glad I had some tools that I learned here on SR to get through it.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you were able to work through it Atlast, I too remember those waking up in a panic moments. Being sober definitely allowed me to work on tools to deal with my anxiety as well, and I also sought some counseling for it too. Glad you have some tools now!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

6 months, some of that anxiety for me was physical; it was my body allowing the toxins to leave my body as it sobered up. Yes, alcohol invades our bodies and ages us and does all kinds of stuff.

For me, the other part was mental. I'm a rush junkie and my body often craves a rush, which I find can be tamed by any number of appropriate and inappropriate behaviors.

Know you are healing, seek mental or physical help for this (along with anything you are doing, I worked those 12 steps) if it's bothering you.

Keep staying stopped, you are worth it!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

At,

My paws/kindling/ptsd lasted well over 2 years. I may have drug them out with a couple of sips medicinal booze, didn't feel a buzz at all, but I can't help but wonder.

The bottom line is time heals. Drink again and it starts again. I still feel messed up a teeny bit, but my energy and actions are better. I am a new man. I will never drink again. I am over the booze thing.

Huge party last night. Free booze everywhere. Through the whole thing I sipped coffee, water, sparkling water, and red bull. At one point, someone placed a hug bucket of beer on the table right in front of me.

All the beers were open. They were ice cold. I had no drink in my hand. This evil thought raced through me, it was like a dark sinister feeling. Like I was at a crossroads.

I am sure my guardian angel was watching and yelling, dont do it. The beer was less then arm's reach. All my younger work mates were dancing and some were very drunk. Some were not drinking at all. It was like purgatory or something.

I physically shook my head, no. I started dancing in my chair to the music. Eventually, I stood up and was dancing with both arms raised...who does that?

I was celebrating and I was stone sober.

This morning, I am feeling a bit horse from the smoke or whatever, but am not relapsed. I did not have a drop.

That is how we roll.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we all tend to forget that we all have 'moments' of anxiety or depression throughout life. Even people who wouldn't be classed as 'drinkers'.

Hope things have leveled out for you now - hang in there