Notices

Waves of sadness

Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waves of sadness

Hi everyone i will be on day 18 tomorrow so doing well and feeling so much better, but on a weekend i seem to keep being hit with waves of sadness i dont if it happens more on a weekend as thats when i tended to drink or if its just coincidence. But ive been fine all day then it just hits me and the hurt feeling almost takes my breath away. I have had a tough year emotionally with family illness and lack of sibling support, so probably that but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Tinker,
Addictive programming and cellular, emotional, nervous system, brain chemistry, neurological synapse, etc, etc functions are Screaming Bloody Murder for a fix. All the processes are conditioned to having their soothing balm, or their jolt of stimulation ... and it ain't getting supplied ... so the subconscious / ego / emotional & rational mind are playing whatever waves of self-induced B/S they can to convince you that you NEED that fix to ... be ok.

However, to give in just obviously continues the cycle, except you gave in, so it reinforces that the ... feel bad ... self-manipulation works. So ... next time you hold out on supplying the fix ... the 'feelings' get more intense. It really is a version of insanity ... plus a much less diagnosed condition I can only describe this way ...

I could not fix my spiritually diseased self with my spiritually diseased self.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U Can B 2
Old 12-14-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah. You're not alone.
I've been sober ten years and I hate weekends. I feel sad, I feel bored and I feel alone.
Two dark days.
I don't know what it is. I guess I was drinking them away for so long, I no longer have that crutch that made them feel like any other day.
We'll make it through. Weekends are no excuse to pick up a drink.

Best to you. I know how you feel.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'll be on day 21 tomorrow but I have to say that after about day 9 or 10 I was finding my emotions would suddenly be magnified and I would go from being happy and getting on with life to crying and unable to deal with how I was feeling. I ended up see my Doc last week and he put me on Antidepressants to stabilise my moods and I do feel a little better now (the meds take a couple of weeks to work properly apparently).
I can't say for certain if you feel the sadness at a weekend as that was your drinking routine but I found if I was busy I was ok it was when I eased off and took time out that it hit me. I don't know if you work or not but if you do a Monday to Friday job then that might be the reason as you don't have the work pressure at a weekend. I'm unemployed so my moods were hitting at any time.
One of the guys at my last AA meeting told me that one of the best things about giving up alcohol is that you get your emotions back and one of the worst things is that you get your emotions back.
I am sure it will all settle down once your body and mind adjust more to the lack of alcohol so all I can say is that if you are worried see a doctor but otherwise hang in there and it will get better.

Well done on 18 days, hang in there and take it a day at a time.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prolonged sadness for me means my depression is getting on top of me, and I need to see my GP- and work out what to do- be it a counsellor or psychologist(which I use). Journal writing helps, as do meetings.
Support to you.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tinkerbeau

I definitely has a bit of emotional roller coaster rude, especially in my first 30 days. I think it's normal. Please don't let it make you doubt you're doing the right thing tho!

stay with us!

D
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Hi everyone i will be on day 18 tomorrow so doing well and feeling so much better, but on a weekend i seem to keep being hit with waves of sadness i dont if it happens more on a weekend as thats when i tended to drink or if its just coincidence. But ive been fine all day then it just hits me and the hurt feeling almost takes my breath away. I have had a tough year emotionally with family illness and lack of sibling support, so probably that but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar.
i get the same way, I am 6 weeks sober. It seems to hit me too right before the weekend. This weekend I made plans to keep myself busy with activities that doesn’t involve drinking. Well anyways, this morning I was feeling especially anxious and it was part due to my husband being gone this weekend. I usually have a tendency to go out with friends to drink. Also because something happened at work yesterday that was my fault and I was feeling anxious about that. I learned today at an aa meeting that those things are triggers for drinking. It is now 11:00 at night and I made it all day! Hang in there, things will get better!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all your advice and support it really does help not feeling alone, well i had good nights sleep and going to be busy today housework, shopping, etc. Will do movie night with my son tonight then take him out for day tomorrow so hopefully that will all help. Hope your all ok too
Old 12-15-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done you x