Notices

Day 7 Sober!

Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 Sober!

well isn’t this a funny feeling! I thought after about 2 days of going sober I would be full of energy and singing with the forest creatures! I was wrong lol! Currently only on day 7 and totally loving being sober (I’m a terrible drunk!) but seriously waiting to get my energy and appetite back!

Anyway, just really wanted to pop a post and say hello, and am looking forward to reading inspiring posts from people further ahead in this journey than myself. Well done to you all for making the decision to get sober 😀
Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on 7 days of sobriety. My appetite returned right away but it probably took awhile to get my energy back. Be sure to eat as well as you can and maybe try a little exercise each day.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anna, thank you 😀 I do love my food so am sure my appetite will return soon, I guess not doing anything won’t help so thanks, I’ll take on board about the exercise 😀
Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on getting that first week under your belt!!

I'll be on day 21 tomorrow after years of excess... I too was a terrible drunk but I was depressive and moody apparently (I couldn't say as I don't remember a great deal about most of it) I have to say my first week was horrible. Well I say that but the first couple of days were fine and then I started to feel the withdrawal pretty badly (ending up in hospital briefly when I fainted due to low blood sugar) but after the first week it got better and easier.

I still haven't got my energy levels back up to what they used to be and tend to doze off at the drop of a hat but my appetite is picking up and I think that is partly down to forcing myself to eat a little at breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Everyone is different but I found introducing more food gradually helped with my appetite. I also try and walk for half an hour a couple of times a day which serves 2 purposes, 1 to make me exercise and help build my energy levels and 2 to take my mind off the cravings that have recently started creeping in...

But as I said we are all different so try something and see if it works for you, if not try something else!!

The main thing is that you are sober and have reached the first milestone of 7 days which is a fantastic achievement. Just keep taking it a day at a time and you will get your energy back and be eating more than you ever thought you could, lol.

Well done and keep it up..
Old 12-14-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Livingonwishes. Wow day 21!well done!!! 😀 I’ll be happy to be able to say that! Thank you for the advice, I hear what you mean about feeling rubbish after a couple of easy days.... I am starting to feel a bit rubbish but I won’t let the devils juice win! Lol sorry to hear you’re getting cravings again 😔 although you sound strong, and walking sounds like a fantastic idea. Forums like this seem a great way of us likeminded people having a way of supporting each other.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WELCOME and well done!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Phoenix 😀
Old 12-14-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome!! Congrats! Keep up the great work!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you lab girl 😀
Old 12-14-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give it a little time SoberHappy - if you're like me you drank for years - it takes a little time for things to return to normal

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-14-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A week sober is great! Be warned tho, that early recovery can be a bumpy ride sometimes. So make a plan to deal with those rough times.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you. It’s slow going but things will get better and better.😀
Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a week sober
Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys, I’m just taking one day at a time right now.. I suffer from anxiety so I’m trying to separate the anxiety symptoms from the alcohol withdrawal at the moment. I Have a teenage daughter and I’m determined I won’t be drunk yet again this Christmas, strangely it’s once the festivities are over that’s worrying me I’m not sure how I’ll cope. I have set myself goals just need to be strong. I’m currently on Antabuse and I certainly won’t drink on that (I guess most of us who’ve been on it have tested it and will agree it’s awful to drink on! Lol) bit my problem is I can just stop taking it! Still it’s early days and I don’t want to think too far ahead!
Old 12-15-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am just past 11 months. I heard a lot of people talk about how high their energy levels got once sober for a while. I think what I’ve learned in this time so far is that recovery is so different for everyone so it’s better to think of it as figuring out how it plays out for you than waiting for certain things to occur. I don’t think I’ve really felt all that energetic even nearing the one year mark. But what I’ve learned is that I need rest, and now I know how to listen to that (or try to...I have kids too so sometimes the sleeping thing is hijacked a bit). You are so wise to realize that you can kind of get through/white knuckle a certain event but once that is over it’s harder to stay quit if you’re focused on getting through the one thing. Are you doing IRL support in addition to Antabuse (sorry if I’ve missed that)? Definitely the one day at a time approach, and if I could offer one single piece of advice from what I’ve read here over time, it is to come post BEFORE you think you might take a drink. There are so many wise wonderful souls here and you’d be amazed at what you can weather with the support of a community behind you. I wish you a ton of support.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you Numblady! 😀 yes rest is important and certainly hard with little ones about, I’m lucky to have a lazy teenager lol. What is IRL support? I referred myself to a local alcohol service recently, I missed my first appointment due to my anxiety but spoke to a lovely lady over the phone. I think for me a forum like this will be invaluable as I’m not one for going to AA meetings. I will 100% be posting on here if and when the cravings strike. Thank you for your support, and we’ll done to you on almost a year!!!! 😀
Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 7! You’re off to a great start. Read around the boards to learn some tools from the wise members of SR. Glad you have an appointment with a counselor for some more support.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Atlas, day 8 now 😀 (am in the uk lol) thank you I’ve found lots of interesting and inspiring posts on here 😀