Notices

Tactical success

Old 12-07-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tactical success

I saw this video earlier and had the following thoughts, which I outline below. But first, watch the video, it is truly inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Q79_aLHq0

The message in the video is "never give up." With there grit and determination you can push through all challenges to win. This is a fantastic message and one that I have used in my personal life to overcome a number of challenges. It has not, however, gotten me, or kept me sober in the past.

I started reading the comments under the video (on FB, not the YT link I posted) and found comment after comment from experienced runners who said "this is not a 'never give up' story, this is a tactical success"
I read on and others were more specific talking about "negative splits" and "pacing" and a great description of how he was so tough mentally he was able to stick to his race plan, running the first half at a slower pace and watching the distance from the pack grow until he crossed the 400m mark and instead of speeding up to catch them just kept his pace until the pack hit their limits and slowly inched their way back to him, at which point he used his reserves and methodically moved ahead.

It reminded me of recovery, or at least my own. Sheer will and determination is great, and can start us on the right path. But following a plan; listening to the tactics used by those that have succeeded before us; not letting our emotions take hold but rather going into and going through sobriety with clear objectives and steps can lead to a better outcome than just trying with no real set plan.

We are capable of amazing things. This video is a beautiful example of that.

ETA: I just watched it again and it is really brilliant what he pulls off. You can actually see the description mentioned above unfold. He just keeps his pace and waits and then suddenly the pack comes back to him. And then he takes off!
Old 12-07-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Era,

Love it.

By any means necessary!

Keep posting because I am reading.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Mera

D
Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm old enough to remember seeing that race on TV when I was a kid. It was great then, better now. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mera,

Thanks so much for sharing. Love the video and your message more.

How are you?

XX
Old 12-08-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Dropsie, I'm pretty good, thanks for asking. It's been a tough year, but then again most years are for me. I've had a lot of challenges in my life. But I've thankfully been blessed with an incredible amount of grit and determination So I am getting through all of the hurdles I currently face, one day at a time, fighting mightily for the life I desire. Of all the compliments I received, and I am fortunate to have received many (the world is generally kind when you open yourself to it), was from my karate maestro. He was speaking of my work in the gym, but he also knew of my battle with alcoholism, depression and other problems. He said "you have more grit than anyone I've ever taught" I am proud of that compliment, it makes me feel good.
To go further with your question, I am also good because I am sober. But I remain that way through methodical work of specific tactics. I stick to the plan and follow the rules that others have been so kind to share with me. Like those experienced runners I've got a number of experienced sober people who know the deal and are so generous in sharing their knowledge with me. Even when my objective looks like it is as far away as the pack was from Wottle in this race I don't let my emotions or fear get the best of me, I stick to the plan and trust it will work out and alas, it has so far. I think I'll keep doing it this way instead of my way.

And you?