Notices

End of Day 16....made it through some tough days this week

Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

End of Day 16....made it through some tough days this week

So today is day 16 for me. It's been a rough week which started Monday when my son went to a friend's house after sports practice and drank vodka for the first time.

He was supposed to come home at 9pm, per our agreement when he asked to go over. At 8:45 I texted him asking if he was on his way. He said "not yet in a bit". I reminded him of our agreement on 9pm. He said "I know Mom, it won't happen again I'll talk to you when I get home and I'll explain everything". I texted at 9:30 are you on your way? His response was "I'm sorry mom". I called him twice with no answer. Then I texted and said "call me" and he did.

We've always told our kids no matter what you've done, call us, we'll come pick you up. We always said they'd be in way more trouble if they got home in an unsafe manner and tried to lie to us. So he told me what he had done and could I come pick him up, his friends were not ok to drive. So I did. Got home at 10:45. Finally to sleep around 11:30pm.

He was ok, he didn't like the way the vodka made him feel and he never wants to drink it again. Because of my history and my family history I told him how alcohol works in your brain - he may not want to drink again as of that night, but for many people by Thursday or Friday drinking again seemed like a good fun idea. He said NEVER again mom, no way!

We've grounded him, taken away things and he told his sports coach what he had done. He got suspended for one event and had to talk to his entire team and apologize to them and the coaches for letting them down.

He seems very humble about the whole experience and I think we all made it through.....so grateful that I'm sober and on the right path. It would be so hypocritical for me to punish him for his actions while not addressing my own issues.

Long days at work this week....hubby is working tons of overtime so we have not even seen each other since Sunday morning. I'll get to see him Saturday night when I get home from work and he has the night off. Finally!

Headed to read everyone's posts and get caught up on how everyone is doing on SR. Thanks for being here.....
Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 18 now!

It's so good that you were sober so that you could drive to pick him up and deal with that situation like a responsible parent.

Even if you're struggling yourself that would be my worst nightmare to see my kids start down the same path. Great job giving your son the guidance to make the right decisions when he's young! Keep it up!

Old 12-08-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what happened but I'm glad you are your son obviously have a good relationship otterisland

Congrats on 16 days

D