OT: border collie training

Old 12-01-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

OT: border collie training

My dog is a one year old border collie. She does great off leash and stays with me in yards, fields and when I'm kayaking. She's crate trained, house-trained, quiet, playful and loves playing with tennis balls, sticks and lunkers. She plays well with other dogs.

I have no idea on how to teach her to stay or heel. Any tips or advice? I bought a new leash and collar yesterday. I've rarely had her on the leash in the past couple months, so it feels like starting new again.

I also would like to teach her some tricks.

This is out of my comfort zone, so in the sake of self-growth and being a good doggy mommy, I'd really like to learn more.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
My dog is a one year old border collie. She does great off leash and stays with me in yards, fields and when I'm kayaking. She's crate trained, house-trained, quiet, playful and loves playing with tennis balls, sticks and lunkers. She plays well with other dogs.

I have no idea on how to teach her to stay or heel. Any tips or advice? I bought a new leash and collar yesterday. I've rarely had her on the leash in the past couple months, so it feels like starting new again.

I also would like to teach her some tricks.

This is out of my comfort zone, so in the sake of self-growth and being a good doggy mommy, I'd really like to learn more.
Border Collies are smart dogs. It shouldn't be hard. I trained my dog to heal, but I didn't go all out and demand that he automatically sit when we stop walking, like they do in advanced obedience training. I'm sure you can find precise methods, tips, and tricks on the internet sites devoted to training your dog. And even though I've taught dogs to heel before, I'd still read over the methodology again if I was going to start with a new dog.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a border collie mix. She does great with hand signals for actions such as sit and roll over. Heal takes repetition, consistency and time she's ''7" years old. My dog was better when that youthfulness left her.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have an Aussie Cattle Dog, and they are similar in terms of intelligence and energy.

My dog really needs a "job" to do with those qualities.
One really interesting way to do this is obstacle course training or herding training.

I don't have anyone near me who does this, but I expect you might out West. I hear it is incredibly fun and rewarding for both dog and human partner.

I do stuff with a chuck it launcher and retrieval--she leaps for the balls and tries to catch them with no bounce or one bounce. She loves it.
I also throw sticks, etc. into water and she swims, which is another loved task.

The third activity we do together is trail running / hiking on and off leash. Young dogs from these breeds need tons of exercise to be peaceful and happy. Bonus is you'll get into great shape trying to keep up with your friend
Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mango.....you might check out Cesar Milan's book from the library....he is fabulous....

Real story---he actually filmed an episode for his tv show, with my daughter's dog....her dog was blind at birth. He had episodes of out of control behavior when he was given his food dish....very frightening and scary to watch! He was a chocolate l ab.... Cesar had him "corrected" from that behavior in about 20 minutes!!
Old 12-02-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to have a Border Collie who was rescued from an abusive home. The first 6 months I had her, she was a VERY strange dog.
Then, one day she woke up and became "normal."

Your dog is just a year old, and probably still in the "terrible twos" stage. Like others have pointed out, they are VERY intelligent. My dog even started to understand words when I spelled them out. Border Collies also need a job. They get bored easily.

Just be patient with your dog and give it lots of love.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a Border Collie who is 18 months old. She’s so smart and I love her...even though she removed every starfish from the Christmas tree yesterday and hid them around the house. Apparently un-decorating the tree was her job yesterday.

I’m going to PM you some information on her trainer; I don’t want to post it here because it would give away my location. The trainer has great videos and information on her web site. Her trainer has helped us with the dog’s anxiety because she was also abused by my AXF; it was such a horrible time for both of us. She’s come so far from where she was. The trainer and a great team at dog daycare who knew her history have been wonders for both of us.

Borders are the best dogs. ❤️
Old 12-02-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thank you for all the responses and pm! I really appreciate it.

I found a YouTube training video for long leash training I plan on starting. While looking for a 15' leash today I met a bunch of great people, explored locally owned stores and ordered a new dog tag for my pup. I have a long red tie-down strap I can use to try out this training technique, and met a woman who takes custom orders for hiking leashes.

I did some extra off leash training today and that went really well. Maybe it's simply "take a different approach and keep moving forward".
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was in my early teens a neighbor bought a Springer Spaniel and when it was old enough seriously enrolled himself and his dog in obedience training classes. A short time later he was entering the dog in obedience trials, where the dog excelled in doing all kinds of things. He invited my father and I to attend one of his classes, which even at my age was an experience I have never forgotten. Here were a bunch of serious adults engaged in seriously training dogs to do things.

The exercises were all centered around the trials. Learn to do this, that, and the other things. 10 dogs commanded to stay as the owners walked away and stood in a line silently facing their dogs at 20 yards. They were not allowed to use hand signals or commands after telling the dog to stay once. This became a competition won by the last dog standing. Some dogs broke free and came running to their masters after sitting quietly for prolonged periods, and the crowd would quietly moan in sympathy. One dog sitting perfectly still for the longest time finally got bored and didn't return to his master, but quietly laid down, and the crowd moaned again along the lines of, "We're so sorry."

The competing owners would throw their car keys or wallets in a big pile and command the dogs to "find". The dogs would happily descend on the pile and find the owner's thing and bring it back. Occasionally, a dog would happily bring back someone else's keys and get disqualified. <more sad moans from spectators>

My neighbor's dog must have been extraordinary. It had trophies and ribbons that filled a 12 foot mantel and over flowed to book cases and cabinets. I've never seen another dog like it. I used to sneak into my neighbors yard and tell the dog to sit, stay, go down, which my neighbor frowned on, but I was 10 or 12 and I couldn't contain myself. If my neighbor had been watching through a window, he never bawled me out though.

When my neighbor would finish a training session with the dog, he would give the dog a final command, "Free!" and motion with his hand indicating it was time for the dog to go nuts and run around the yard like he was out of control, and the dog happily made a mad dash around the yard barking in unrestrained exuberance. I don't know if the dog was elated to be free or just following a command, but it always made me laugh.

Last edited by DriGuy; 12-03-2018 at 07:56 AM. Reason: sentence structure
Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Border collies require a lot of work, they need to almost have a "Job". My Fiance's mother has a border collie/cattle dog mix; she would get mad at the mail man and literally take it out on the couch...She would drag the couch across the room!

My rottweiler is the same, housebroken but I can't teach her any commands..I have a dog trainer coming over Saturday to help.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi lostinjersey,

Good luck with the dog training.

My husband and I have had border collies before. Although they were cattle dogs, their jobs were very infrequent. It's not often we moved cattle or needed them to work.

What some might view as jobs, I look at as playtime. For her and me. A natural, needed element of life. Ebb and flow -- this often changes.

My pup is learning to chill and relax very well. Teaching her focus is something I'm enjoying. The other day at a hotel it was simply picking up a vacation flyer and using it as a focus point while navigating new areas.

I'm learning through yoga, meditation and mindfulness, how to direct my own focus. I'm feeling hopeful about my training abilities and have found a dog trainer I'm going to visit today.

One day at a time.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by lostinjersey1 View Post
My rottweiler is the same, housebroken but I can't teach her any commands..I have a dog trainer coming over Saturday to help.
Rotties are tough. They can be very hard headed. I joke that when you give a golden retriever a command they say"Ok" and do it. Rotties say "Why? What's in it for me?"

It is crucial that you do a lot of dominance training with Rotties so they know in no uncertain terms that all other members of the house are alphas to them. Otherwise they can and will take over the house! Dog and people socializing is also crucial.

They are very eager to please and fiercely loyal. Once they "get it" they are a joy to everyone. If they dont, they can be monsters.

Good that you're getting some training
Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is good

There are many different training methods that have good results with any breed.

Having been abused, I relate to some methods in really good ways. I'm trusting my instincts on this. This is a big part of my own recovery.

I've known three amazing, gentle huge rottweilers who were a great part of volunteer search and rescue teams.

Here's a link about getting dogs involved in search and rescue:

https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.co...search-rescue/

"Becoming a SAR dog requires an immense amount of skill, and not every dog is up to this task. Breeds that traditionally are chosen as SAR dogs include German shepherds, Labrador retrievers, Dobermans, Rottweilers, giant Schnauzers and golden retrievers."
Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is good

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
I did some extra off leash training today and that went really well. Maybe it's simply "take a different approach and keep moving forward".
I'm doing more of this. Off leash training, changing things up and keeping it interesting for both of us. This morning I went back to stairs. We've done this quite often since she was a younger puppy. Now it's bigger stairs and a bit longer training on them.

Leash training is improving.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Border Collies are meant to run free and herd... thats why they dont take to the lead easily although they can adjust. I have had 4 border collies during my life...all different in their obedience levels..my current boy Jack is amazing, he was placid from 7 weeks (although hes had his moments). They are so intelligent. Jack knows the name of every toy he has, has an internal clock and knows routines at which time etc. But even at 11 and a half he will still pull on the lead if hes excited i.e. if we are heading towards a beach or any type of water. He is swimming mad! Praise praise praise and treats are the best training methods. I wish he was 1 again and l could share all those wonderful years with him again..l envy you x
Old 12-05-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just took my heeler through behavior modification training and basic training. As soon as I start working again I will be putting her through intermediate and then elite/personal protection/SAR training.

The method they use is stupid simple and I feel dumb that I struggled so hard with training her for so long.

Any time you touch your dog you are reinforcing their behavior good or bad. Use touch praise and reinforce the command. I will try to explain it here if it's not clear you can PM me and maybe we can talk on the phone and I can try to explain it better.

For sit: With your dog on leash and collar (no harnesses) Say "sit" (do not repeat the command) if the dog complies, physically praise your dog and repeatedly say "good sit" (reinforce the command and the good behavior) If the dog does not comply, pull up(don't yank on it) on the leash (do not choke the dog) It will not hurt the dog, it puts uncomfortable pressure on them and they usually sit. As soon as the dog complies, physically praise your dog and say "good sit" over and over for 30 seconds. If the dog is stubborn give them a minute or two holding the leash in the up position, if they still do not comply with the command, take your fingers and squeeze the muscles right in front of the dog's back legs. The dog will(should) automatically sit. Praise the dog when they comply.

For heel. Choose 1 side to walk your dog on when you begin. I'm ambidextrous so the trainer asked which hand I write with the most-right. So do whatever is comfortable for you.

Start with your dog on a leash and collar (their shoulder should be even with your leg), look straight ahead and say heel and begin walking when they keep up say "good heel" repeat frequently when they stay on course. if they stray from you give 1 short quick tug on the leash to "snap" their collar. quick tug and RELEASE. (there were so many people in class trying to choke their poor dogs)

The short tugs on the leash are called a distraction. They dog is supposed to focus on you and your commands. When they wander it's a reminder to focus on you.

There are several collars you can use for training dogs. For some dogs a regular collar works. you can also use a chain collar, a plastic pinch collar or a prong collar. Our heeler has a lot of issues so we have to use a prong collar to get her attention. I was really scared of it because it looks horrible. Since I learned to use it properly it has never hurt her. The point of pinch and prong collars is to provide a more noticeable "distraction" heelers tend to have laser like focus and she has a hard time letting go of something once it's in her sights.

I also wanted to put this in here to keep in mind:

How to break up a dog fight

Do NOT pull the dog's leash to you, you will bring the fight to your legs and you will get bit.
Do NOT attempt to grab the dog's collar, you will have put your arms in the red zone and you will get bit.
Do drop the leash and pick up your dog's back legs and lift them up, depending on the dog size to your hips for bigger dogs and mid thigh or knees for smaller dogs. ( you are putting their balance on their front legs)
If the dog does not disengage pull their back legs slightly apart (DO NOT WISH BONE YOUR DOG!!) This is extremely uncomfortable for them and they will refocus their attention.
Slowly walk backwards until you are clear from the other dog and owner.
Drop 1 leg and pick up your leash, and then drop the other leg.

If the other animal does not have an owner with them do not use this method. Carry pepper spray.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is good

8 month update:

I'm confident in my skills now as a doggy mommy and enjoy learning more all the time.

Last winter I took an afternoon workshop with a dog trainer I respect and relate well to. I use some of his methods and have learned more.

Pup enjoys her crate time, is doing great on leash and off leash and is respectful, playful and focused. Her favorite toys rotate between a variety of ones that add fun, interest and activities. She's also become very good at sitting quietly for bath time.

Thank you all for your input here!!