Notices

Should I give AA another go

Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I give AA another go

I went to 2 AA meetings in October. At the second meeting I had a bad stomach walking home and had an accident in my pants. I then got showered the went out bought alcohol and had a bad binge. For something like that to happen is really unpleasant.

I was was drawn to a lot of anti AA coverage on YouTube which convinced me it was a cult. I don't seem to like the fact that they seem to use fear and guilt.

In my earlier post a reply was given saying I do not want to give up alcohol and want to drink more than stay sober. If this is the case I wonder why I have been praying on my hands and knees to god several times a day to keep me off alcohol!

No doubt the person who made that regard would tell someone who attempted suicide and failed that they did not really want to kill themselves?

Anyway having relapsed after 22 days I do think I may of been white knuckling it and need a better solution.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you should do whatever it takes for you to stop drinking. I believe that motivation to recover is the most important thing. You can go to AA or not or use other methods of recovery, but choose what works for you.

And, if you are upset by someone's responses, you can use the Ignore function so that you will not see their posts anymore.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
[left]

In my earlier post a reply was given saying I do not want to give up alcohol and want to drink more than stay sober. If this is the case I wonder why I have been praying on my hands and knees to god several times a day to keep me off alcohol!
Here's my 'take'; I was also on hands and knees asking/praying/begging ANY God to stop ME from drinking....Thing is...I kept drinking/doing it to MY SELF. You say "AA uses fear/guilt"..what feelings do you have after drinking? From my experience,those are feelings of nothing but fear and guilt.

I had to own my actions to get/stay sober and I still own my actions. If I want to drink,the only 'reason' for drinking I'll give, is I drank anymore. Personal ownership and continued work on myself is the reason I no longer drink.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post

Please, do yourself a favor and disregard reductive comments. This one is the fallacy of single cause, and it is among many fallacies both formal and informal that people use as a crutch. Alcoholism can't be oversimplified. I run like a sprinter when I see this coming, even though I know many who've enjoyed long term sobriety might default into this...especially if they are enjoying success and happiness as they define it. I am pulling for you and am in a similar spot.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sure, give it another go. But the program of AA isn't in attending meetings, it's in working the 12 steps. I'm not in AA, but used to be, and I know it helps many people stay sober. Give it another chance. What have you got to lose?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I spent 25 years like you are right now. In AA, not in AA, sober, relapse. Chronic acoholism had me in it's grip from the age of 25-50 ( I was drinking before 25, but that is when I went to AA for the first time). I finally wanted to not drink more than I wanted to feel the way I was and to drink.

At 7.5 years sober, I can tell you the 12 steps are a new solution and DO treat alcoholism. I work the steps in my life. I sponsor others. I still get to a specific number of meetings a week as this was my first commitment to my sponsor (alcoholics are horrible at meeting commitments).

I hope you find something that works for you. There is AA; and there are other programs of recovery, too! I wish you well on your sober journey!!
Old 11-30-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use a variety of things to treat my disease. AA being one of them. They say all you need is a desire to stop drinking. A lot is said in the rooms of AA but what is done are the Steps. Reading the first 164 pages of the Big Book. It's work but its not a race. It's training for a race for me. Everyday I get stronger. Learn more. Work on more. ENJOY things more. Lots of things I paid no mind to anymore...
Meetings are great but they alone don't do it.
Just don't drink. Days add up and things get better.
You can do this!
Jules
​​​​