Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Not Thanksgiving Weekender Thread 30 November - 3rd December2018

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi There!
I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time - especially holiday weekends -and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-30-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: title oops
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
And thanks Gilmer, I have one more appointment booked which I will go to, but if I’m still feeling frustrated after that I think I’ll switch to someone else
Old 11-30-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks!! I have been waiting for this to open! I never thought I would be counting the hours since my last drink..... 22 and am not feeling great....

Anyway, heres to a sober weekend!!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Joining the weekender thread. Had the best sleep last night in years and no hangover this morning. What a great feeling!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

KEEP POSTING, Northern lass...lots and lots...it helps..join some of the newcomer's threads.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee! I’m in!

Hi, NorthernLass and Phil!

I’m so pleased you had a great sleep, Phil!
Old 11-30-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome NorthernLass (from another northern lass lol) and Phil. One day at a time guys and gals, that’s all you need to think about, you can do this! x

Big hugs to Willow and Bim who I think need a sober hug today xx
Old 11-30-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And carrying on the hugs for Dragon.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome NorthernLass and Phil this is a great place for support. Many a tricky situation I’ve come through unscathed (ie sober) thanks to the awesome people here ❤️
Old 11-30-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

Hi everyone! I'm in much need for a sober weekend! Glad to be here
Old 11-30-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sober style

SR is the bees knees, and the Weekender thread a venerable institution within it. Vman got me reading this thread awhile back, now I sorta know who's who and I'm rooting y'all on in your various endeavors. Life turns up all sorts of interesting adventures for us to partake in when we stay sober!
Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Weekend goal: Good food, rest, snowshoe with dogs, movie. I've been working too hard and the HALTS is tugging hard. I need to restore! I'm looking forward to hearing how others fill their sober weekends.
Welcome NorthernLass and Phil! Hi Purps, Snazzy, Willow, Gilmer, Manta, Phoenix, Hawkeye, Dee and everyone else.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi all. I couldn't stay mad forever.

Welcome Phil71 & NorthernLass.

I hope VMan is well.

It is the firm's Christmas Party tonight - not the daunting event it once was but I still get an occaisional drinking thought or two. If you can survive the run-up weeks to Christmas you should find the new year easy.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in!

Thank you , Dee, for a new thread.

Welcome to new weekenders.

Sao and Vinny - just for you to know I miss you both a lot.

I had my session with the therapist earlier today and poured on her a lot of my frustration. She cleared my head again, I have to take advantage of this clear mental state.

Have a good one, weekenders.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning gang, thanks for the new thread Dee.

So I have this old friend (Whom I'm not speaking to anymore). We have history going back to high school, we shared an appartment for two years before I got married. (20 years ago) The way he took it you'd think I just dumped a lover. He ended up being my best man but the relationship - which was based mostly on drugs and drinking cooled off. I stopped drugs when I got married and he continued so for the first 5ish years, I had nothing to do with him. He got married a few years after I did and I never even attended the wedding. We did reconcile sorta and would meet maybe twice a year for coffee. So not a great relationship any more. In recent years, he became born again and any conversation we had after that was centered around him and his new found faith.

When I was in my early twenties, my dad tried to kill himself. As many of you know, my daughter came to us in April 2017 wanting to kill herself. So now our world is all about mental health, getting her help and keeping vigil.

So in May, this 'freind' of mine who supposed to be all about being christian, posts on facebook that suicied is a cowerdly act. This upset me terribly and I've blocked him ever since.

He's tried calling me several times since and I've ignored him. Yesterday he left a voice mail for me saying he was worried and just wanted a message saying I was OK and he would not bother me anymore. So I unblocked him on face book last night and sent a quick message and I let him know why I blocked him. Then I unfriended him. I didn't say anything about my daughter but he knows all about the incident with my dad.

So then he texted my work phone and said it was his opinion and wasn't worth loosing our freindship over. So I blocked him on my cell phone. I don't think we've ever had a real freindship to beigin with.

Oh, and apperently the guy is a pastor now.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay - BBL...need coffee before posting coherently.

in tho.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Willow, I had several tries at "therapy." I never found one I clicked with. I did come away with a couple little gems of language, but I won't go back to therapy again. There are lots of books that help me more. My own inner wisdom and my faith pull me through in the end.

All my family has died, and there's just no easy way to go through the grief process. One day, one hour, sometimes one minute at a time. I don't know, I felt all kinds of disparate things when people close to me died...I think the only healing for me came with time. You will feel better than this but it takes time to process through it all and I'm not sure the processing ever stops. Hug. I feel ya, sistah.

Dragon, people have no filters. That does sound weird that the guy calls himself a pastor and yet didn't have a more empathetic reply to your facebook message. Feet of clay.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WELCOME BACK, BELOVED SAO!!!

Oh, Dragon. I am so sorry!

It is so sad. So often when people come to faith in some way, they get extra high-spirited about expressing strong opinions. I'm sure he believes he's privy to some searing new insights about suicide that only he can express in his particular way--and unfortunately he chose Facebook.

Your father was probably the last thing on his mind when he posted it--and I'm sure he wishes he could take it back now--but often people with faith feel it incumbent upon themselves to take bold stands, the bolder the better.

I don't know why.

Hopefully he will learn something from this unfortunate affair. To be a pastor ideally means to be a shepherd: to lead and guide and care for a flock when they are lost and hungry.

I would think that a family experiencing anything even remotely to do with suicide would require the very tenderest and supportive of care. Perhaps rather than a doctrinal manifesto a simple arm around the shoulder and coming alongside would be the thing.

Now I'm the one probably launching into a doctrinal screed with too many words!

I'm sorry. Lord willing he will never make this mistake again.

((((Dragon))))

I'm praying for both of you.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in. It's been a while since I checked in to the Weekender. I've been extra busy with... just everything. It's been a challenging 2018, in general. But I'm getting through all of it with no desire to drink. I'll have 4 years on Tuesday. So - to those of you struggling with early days, or difficult circumstances, deaths, money stress, whatever you have going on - know this. YOU CAN get through all of it sober. I have had a lot of that and more this year. I'm extremely grateful for being sober through all of it. Can't even imagine how much more of a mess things would have been if I had been drinking my way through it.

This weekend, I'll be continuing the GREAT GARAGE PURGE. My daughter has used my garage as a storage unit for several years now. I finally put my foot down, got a dumpster, and told her to get to my house and figure stuff out or it would all go in. I can *almost* get two cars in there again. I was only barely able to get one car in there.

Also planning on hanging out with my BF and watching football and relaxing some on Sunday. Also have a baby shower to attend on Saturday for a young lady who attends the women only AA meeting I go to. Should be a good weekend!