Well guys, I am having an off day...

Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well guys, I am having an off day...

Hi All:
I am having a weak day..Ever since last night I have been thinking about my AX Boyfriend…we haven’t spoke in two weeks, he has locked himself in his house and it doesn’t even have any heat (hes out of oil) He lost the house in Foreclosure but they haven’t seemed to evict him yet. He is surrounded by vodka bottles and a space heater..It’s a disaster waiting to happen. Even if I do a wellness check the cops can’t force him to get help. His phone’s off, he lost his job and the last time I tried to talk to him he yelled at me and told me to leave, he is a plain nasty drunk right now and it breaks my heart. We were together almost three years..This is really tough.
My questions are two things, how long can this possibly last? He is not showering, barely eating and just drinking Gatorade or vodka. He had had no human contact in almost three weeks..I do not understand why he is doing this! I know it’s bad this time because not only did he lose me, he lost a VERY GOOD job. He has relapsed three times and his job held it..he was nervous to go back and I think he feels he let his job down too and is embarrassed. I wish I understood.
Second question, if a house doesn’t have heat, especially in the winter, can it be deemed unsafe? The cops said last time this happened if the house is deemed unsafe for human occupancy they can remove them. I guess since I never had an addiction problem I can’t understand what he is thinking right now.
You all have been so helpful, and I appreciate any help to get through this.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It would be impossible to know what he is thinking right now. It sounds like he is consumed by his addiction. It wouldn’t hurt to have a welfare check done on him. Let the decision to remove him from this residence and be evaluated at a hospital to the police. If someone has space heaters going with no heat I wouldn’t think that constitutes removing them from that home. If his mental alertness is not what it should be, they may be able to remove him based on that.

How’s he getting his vodka and Gatorade?

It is very heart wrenching to watch someone you love become consumed by their addiction and not have any ability to help them. My heart goes out to you.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too would send for a wellness check and leave it at that.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lij- perhaps 2y + allows me some credibility. I was in the same place your ex is in now. The only person who could get me sober was me. There was support there (in Australia- maybe different, but the Salvo's was my life changer). Addiction follows no rules and when others (my family tried for years to help me- but I just became angry and resentful- mainly at myself, but took it out on others- so now they have cut me loose- understandably. You can check- but you cannot change people. Only he can do that. Make sure you keep your own safety as being important and do not put your life on hold. Days can quickly turn into months- or longer.
My prayers and support to you and prayers for your ex.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

lostinJersey…..I am sending you a private message (PM)…..look for the flashing black box in the top right corner ofthe screen......
Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He's making choices, albeit self-destructive ones. My favorite Alanon maxim: let go or be dragged. Alanon would be a big help and it's enormously supportive for those of us obsessing over an alcoholic.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with doing a wellness check. I think it would give you peace of mind (like, no blood on your hands) and he doesn't have to know who requested it.
I would also be interested in how he's getting his vodka and gatorade (my AH's two favorites as well, btw - - sometimes he mixes them!). Do ya'll live somewhere where they will deliver things like that, or perhaps he's driving drunk to get it and then going back home. Whatever the case. Not your problem, but I understand that you have a kind heart and you don't just want him to die. Let the police check on him. As far as trying to understand what's going through his head.....LET THAT GO. You can't understand crazy.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
let go or be dragged.
I just framed this and put it on my kitchen wall today.

OP, if you are not speaking with your Ex, how do you have all of this current information? Not meant to be snarky, but just asking. If you do all of that - checking on him or having authorities check on him - then be honest with yourself that you are getting involved with him again. I don't know if you were in NC, but you're definitely in contact now and rather heavily involved. It's important that we keep honest with ourselves and proceed from there.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is so absolutely heartbreaking Lost. Watching a wonderful decent person just go to pieces.

All of us here have been through some version of this. The helplessness is excruciating.

I so hope you are being kind to yourself and circling every wagon you have. This is indeed tough.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi lostinjersey,

There have been times I've called for help to turn things over to people who have the training, experience and emotional distance to deal with something that's beyond me.

Other times when I've prayed about something like that, I realized I've done everything possible and it's not up to me if another person lives, or how they live. I felt at peace. Someone else's life is not mine to manage.

How are you doing today?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Hi lostinjersey,

There have been times I've called for help to turn things over to people who have the training, experience and emotional distance to deal with something that's beyond me.

Other times when I've prayed about something like that, I realized I've done everything possible and it's not up to me if another person lives, or how they live. I felt at peace. Someone else's life is not mine to manage.

How are you doing today?

Hi! I am doing much better, I haven't heard from him or reached out in over 9 days...I did the wellness check, the cops said the same thing "He answered the door, said he didn't need help and shut the door". I just have to move on. Thank you for checking up!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I logged on to see how you were today, but I see you're feeling more at peace. Good! It's a hard spot you're in. Alcoholic or not, he is a human being and you have a history with him. It's not surprising if you still love him and worry about him. You are doing well, keep putting one foot in front of the other. 💕💕💕💕💕
Old 12-05-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wamama48 View Post
I logged on to see how you were today, but I see you're feeling more at peace. Good! It's a hard spot you're in. Alcoholic or not, he is a human being and you have a history with him. It's not surprising if you still love him and worry about him. You are doing well, keep putting one foot in front of the other. 💕💕💕💕💕
thank you for checking up! It means a lot. 😁 I'm beyond happy I found this forum. It helps so much. Now I'm relaxing with hot chocolate watching Christmas vacation. 😍
Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am glad you feel at peace!