Notices

Thanksgiving at relatives, tons of booze

Old 11-25-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving at relatives, tons of booze

Wow, Thanksgiving dinner was a real trial. We went over to a relatives, but they are kind of parents of friends of niece's husband. In other words, I hardly knew them. Once we got there, it was hard to find non-alcoholic drinks. There was a full table full of wine, beer on the deck, and when we sat down each seat had a glass of some kind of champagne. I avoided it all but it really showed me how much alcohol is ingrained in social events. Although it was a nice dinner, I don't like events like this where alcohol is everywhere. At one time I did, but trying to stop drinking is difficult enough. I hope everybody made it through your own Thanksgiving events sober. Christmas is coming up. And don't forget New Years! Hang in there. Best to all.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on making it through. Sometimes making it through is all that matters. I happen to be in an event as I write this, lots of great family and fun conversations but there is a drink in almost everyone's hand. So it goes. Getting through is getting through.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jim. That was a huge challenge my first sober holiday season. I felt a little sorry for myself back then. I'm so glad you made it over that hurdle. Congratulations.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the Thanksgiving dinner, and hopefully Christmas will go smoothly.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting through Thanksgiving. I hope your Christmas goes well, too.

When I was newly sober (and even now!) I always brought bottles of sparkling water or sparkling apple juice to events. That way I always knew I had something to drink and there were always other people who were happy to have some, too. I figure if people can bring alcohol to parties, why can't I bring n/a drinks? The gesture has always been appreciated.

Take care.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you made it through Jim (you too less)

Hopefully at Xmas you'll have a bigger say on what happens and whats served

D
Old 11-25-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jim,

There was tons of booze at the place I went to as well.

I had a refreshing water, diet coke, and a big cup of fresh coffee.

It was amazing.

There were a bunch of people drinking, but I don't care anymore. There were also a bunch of people not drinking. Something that interests me for some reason is the obvious drunk people.

I don't engage them but they are definitely in my cross check. That night the drunkest guy was in his 70s. He was drinking wine and kept making excuses that wine doesn't count as alcohol to his buddy.

Later that evening, my non drinking did come up as the party wound down. Since I am no longer a drunk, I tend to stay longer at the parties. Why not, parties are fun.

So, I told the two guys I was talking to about my philosophy on the whole booze thing....the brain damage...the addiction...the energy sapping nature...etc.

I went on to talk about why the Govt doesn't really stop booze addiction or whatever. Basically, folks that get in trouble are fringe players and get taxed all the way to their early grave anyway. The remainder of the drinkers still pay taxes on everything they drink. Blah blah…

Life of a non drinker.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jim, great you got through it. Yes, alcohol is so much a part of our world. We are the minority. But I believe the majority is wrong as far as alcohol is concerned. So glad I am sober and healthy. I don’t care what anyone else thinks as long as I am doing what is best for me as well as setting an example for my family and kid.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CupofJoe View Post
Congrats on getting through Thanksgiving. I hope your Christmas goes well, too.

When I was newly sober (and even now!) I always brought bottles of sparkling water or sparkling apple juice to events. That way I always knew I had something to drink and there were always other people who were happy to have some, too. I figure if people can bring alcohol to parties, why can't I bring n/a drinks? The gesture has always been appreciated.

Take care.
I do the same thing, I bring sparkling water, soda, green tea, it gives me a few drink choices throughout the day.