Notices

Thanksgiving party temptation

Old 11-21-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving party temptation

ugh... posting here to avoid the temptation of going out with friends tonight to hear a band. Thanksgiving Eve is a night where I typically get smashed while out seeing old friends. It’s helping to post here because I’m realizing that most of those going out are home from college, way younger than me, and I should just keep my a$$ home. I thought about offering to drive as that would keep my from drinking but I think it’s going to be crowded and annoying if sober. Whew! Glad I posted here. Feeling a bit better.

Anyone rlse going through this tonight?
Old 11-21-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good call to come and talk it through. Generally if you have any doubt about doing something like this, not doing it is the right answer ;-)

Hang out here - check out some concerts of band you like on YouTube if you need a music fix..it's amazing what you can find!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You made the right call! Nothing wrong with a peaceful evening at home. 🙂
Old 11-21-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crowded bar w/drinking fools sounds like a horrible time to me. When I first started getting sober I did the DD thing a few times and it sucked! I was so annoyed I had willingly put myself in that position everytime. Much rather do laundry or something to enrich my own life than deal with that nonsense..Damn I'm getting old. Stay off my lawn!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Struggling right now even though Im with supportive family. Almost told them I decided to drink again.

Sat down on my hotel bed for a few min to re group. We are all traveling together from different states.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think not going out is a good choice serenitynowplz.

This time next year you'll be way stronger, but for now it's wise to guard that recovery like precious treasure

D
Old 11-21-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m glad to not be doing the Thanksgiving eve partying anymore. I’d feel like such crap the next day that I’d hardly want to eat. 2nd sober Thanksgiving for me. Last year I was a little uneasy at ~3 months sober. Had told my family I quit to safeguard myself. Didn’t stop them from drinking of course but at least they didn’t bother me about it. It turned out great and I look forward to it this year. Keep on the path!
Old 11-21-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We don't have thanksgiving here in the UK, but if we did I would be telling myself, it's one evening - in fact a few short hours, that I would have to be strong.
Well done
Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am beyond grateful to be going to bed sober. It makes me see what a beast that AV really can be. Thankful for this forum and I’ll be checking in here again tomorrow. The mother in law will be here at noon and I’m determined to not let that woman take anymore of my serenity than she already has. Hope everyone has a great night!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No thanks-g in Australia, but I always used to amp up my drinking with the coming of Xmas.

Support to you.

KEEP POSTING!!
Old 11-22-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad you kept posting and did not go out.

Hope you can wake up happy and looking forward to this one day!
Old 11-22-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear ya. We went out last night for milkshakes instead of drinks. Kids could come along, no one was embarrassing because they had too much milkshake. I think it’s a nice, new Thanksgiving eve tradition to establish and something the family can look forward to.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good call. Protecting your sobriety is vital.