My Grandma Passed This Morning

Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Grandma Passed This Morning

So she passed peacefully this morning. I feel overwhelmed, and yet I also feel like I'm on autopilot at the same time. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

Of course, as many of you know, I was abandoned by my addict bf (now ex bf) the end of October for his drugs and haven't heard from him since. I have felt anger off and on at the fact that he should be here now supporting me through this, but honestly I don't think he could have been a great support system anyway. It is what it is.

My heart is broken from the loss of my grandma. We have always had a special bond and were very close. I don't think it's hit me yet. I just have to go through it. Sigh.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss, Gemini. I'm sure you were a blessing and a joy to your grandma from the moment you were born.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate so much, since mine passed away last year. we were also very close.

No words to say, so sorry for your loss. But, so great that she had a close person to like and love with you. Not all elder people have that. May she RIP.

I liked this poem a lot, mabe it helps you

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

All the best to you.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss, Gemini. I'm sure you were a blessing and a joy to your grandma from the moment you were born.

Thank you so much. That's so sweet of you to say.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThomPom View Post
I can relate so much, since mine passed away last year. we were also very close.

No words to say, so sorry for your loss. But, so great that she had a close person to like and love with you. Not all elder people have that. May she RIP.

I liked this poem a lot, mabe it helps you

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

All the best to you.
I'm so sorry about your grandma as well. And thank you so much.
I love the poem. Very comforting.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this Gemini and yes, I understand the "auto-pilot" thing.

Hang in there.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this Gemini and yes, I understand the "auto-pilot" thing.

Hang in there.
Thank you. <3
Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's the difficulty of having a grandmother that you loved so well - it hurts just that much more to lose them.

She is very much honored by your devotion.

And someone once told me that when someone dies, we don't lose the relationship - it changes.

Hoping you find your new relationship with your grandmother as you grieve the loss of her physical presence.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gemini7 View Post
So she passed peacefully this morning. I feel overwhelmed, and yet I also feel like I'm on autopilot at the same time. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

Of course, as many of you know, I was abandoned by my addict bf (now ex bf) the end of October for his drugs and haven't heard from him since. I have felt anger off and on at the fact that he should be here now supporting me through this, but honestly I don't think he could have been a great support system anyway. It is what it is.

My heart is broken from the loss of my grandma. We have always had a special bond and were very close. I don't think it's hit me yet. I just have to go through it. Sigh.
I'm sure your grandma would want you to take good care of yourself and find better ways.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My daughter lives with her husband and child in Mexico so I go to Mexico several times a year. I'm sure nearly everyone heard of the Mexican holiday "Day of the Dead", and I had too, but until I started spending time in Mexico I didn't understand what it's about.

It's really very sweet. On the Day of the Dead (November 1) people gather in the homes of families whose loved one passed and invite just about anyone who wants to come, to join them. The people who come - many are total strangers, walking in family groups on a "tour" of these open homes - bring candles. The host families feed everyone.

They put out pictures of their loved one. They put out the loved one's favorite possessions. The idea is, they invite the departed loved one to the celebration. While they miss whoever passed this night isn't about being sad, it's about sharing the person's life with their neighbors, having a party just as if that person was still among them and the guest of honor.

The celebration isn't just one night, it's like a week, and during the week people dress up and paint their faces to look like skeletons but again this isn't macabre, it is celebratory. There are parades and street musicians walking around everywhere.

When I first learned, in detail, what it was about my FIL had passed a few months before. He was a good man and very much missed. The Day of the Dead sentiments we learned about in Mexico were a comfort to me and my husband, who loved his dad a great deal.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Troubledone View Post
That's the difficulty of having a grandmother that you loved so well - it hurts just that much more to lose them.

She is very much honored by your devotion.

And someone once told me that when someone dies, we don't lose the relationship - it changes.

Hoping you find your new relationship with your grandmother as you grieve the loss of her physical presence.
Thank you so much. <3
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
I'm sure your grandma would want you to take good care of yourself and find better ways.
This is true. Thank you. <3
Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
My daughter lives with her husband and child in Mexico so I go to Mexico several times a year. I'm sure nearly everyone heard of the Mexican holiday "Day of the Dead", and I had too, but until I started spending time in Mexico I didn't understand what it's about.

It's really very sweet. On the Day of the Dead (November 1) people gather in the homes of families whose loved one passed and invite just about anyone who wants to come, to join them. The people who come - many are total strangers, walking in family groups on a "tour" of these open homes - bring candles. The host families feed everyone.

They put out pictures of their loved one. They put out the loved one's favorite possessions. The idea is, they invite the departed loved one to the celebration. While they miss whoever passed this night isn't about being sad, it's about sharing the person's life with their neighbors, having a party just as if that person was still among them and the guest of honor.

The celebration isn't just one night, it's like a week, and during the week people dress up and paint their faces to look like skeletons but again this isn't macabre, it is celebratory. There are parades and street musicians walking around everywhere.

When I first learned, in detail, what it was about my FIL had passed a few months before. He was a good man and very much missed. The Day of the Dead sentiments we learned about in Mexico were a comfort to me and my husband, who loved his dad a great deal.
That sounds very nice. I never knew what it was all about either, although I'd def heard of it. Thank you. <3
Old 11-22-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Prayers
Old 11-22-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss.
D
Old 11-27-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry Gemini7 for the loss of your Grandmother. That special bond you had with her can never be broken and never forgotten. Our grandmothers teach us so many different things in life, except how to live without them.

((hugs))
Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I am so very sorry Gemini7 for the loss of your Grandmother. That special bond you had with her can never be broken and never forgotten. Our grandmothers teach us so many different things in life, except how to live without them.

((hugs))
So very true. Thank you.