Notices

My Story

Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story

Thought it was time to share a little of my story, in the hope of maybe helping someone else and in the scheme of being open and honest.

On September 14, 2018, I clocked out of work at 1:55 pm. I live about 45-50 minutes away. At 2:30 pm police received a call of an erratic driver on the road I live on, but well past my house. I do not remember leaving work. I was not drinking at work. Its a very public environment and just not something that can be done. At 2:50 pm the police used stop sticks to blow my tires and get me to stop. I have no memory of any of this. Between when I left work and when they did a blood draw at 5:20 pm I had drank enough to have BAL of .27. This is my third DUI charge in the last two years, and it scared the living c r a p out of me because I have no recall of any of it. I am facing 4 felonies, including aggravated assault on a LEO because they are saying I tried to hit a cop car with my car. I know I didn't do that, but it is what it is.

My last drink was on October 31, 2018. I did that to force the woman in my life to walk away. Very intentional on my part. I want to protect her from my mess, for a number of reasons. And I also, very selfishly, don't want to lose her. She is an amazing woman. But I also want her to be protected and sheltered from my mess, so its complicated.

I am on day 21, three weeks, and this is by far the most sober time I have had in maybe a decade or more. Past history is I was in a very abusive marriage for a long time with a borderline and I know now I was self medicating to try and deal with it. I went to rehab. I'm in counseling and I'm in an intensive outpatient program now. I know I've had my last drink, but I also worry its too little too late. I met with my lawyer yesterday and I'm facing anything from probation to several years in prison.

My reason for posting this is simple - I want to be honest and open, it's imperative for my recovery. As most of you know, alcoholics are less than honest. I also wanted to let any of you know, if you think you can beat this on your own, like I did, without putting in the actual effort to really address your issues and fix them, you may not be able to. I was (am?) in a professional field, and I had a lot of smarts going for me, and I couldn't think myself out of my problems. My thinking always led back to the bottle. Get the help you may need. Don't be me. Thank you for reading.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing and welcome!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for putting your story out there - I'm sure this was hard. And man I'm sorry for your current legal situation. I really do hope best case scenario for you when all is resolved.

Your story and others here scare the living sh*t out of me. This is why I have to be here and focus on sobriety. I haven't had legal troubles (God knows only out of luck and the randomness of life) but easily could have and probably should have.

You sharing this has helped me and I'm sure many others that will read it. Being honest can be brutal, but I agree it's necessary for recovery. You're paying it forward.

Hang in there.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. It was hard to put it out there. I really miss the girl, and I really miss her kids. I know God put her in my life to get me sober. I just hope and pray thats not the end of the story. I'm at work, doing ok, and looking forward to the IOP meeting tonight.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Than you for sharing a bit of your story. So terrifying what alcohol can do to us! The tragic situations it can cause us to be in. I know you must be scared of the future, but please hang in there. Thankfully no one got hurt in your blackout. You are still alive...so there is always hope. Keep posting, and I truly wish you the best.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness I thank God every day that no one was hurt. That was a blessing. It could have been so different.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing what you are going through. The best thing you can do is to stay sober through this, which you are doing. I am hoping for the best possible outcome for you.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your story dafunbra- I'm really glad you've stopped drinking.

D
Old 11-22-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome
Perhaps join some of the newcomer threads
Support to you
Old 11-22-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just want to echo the other posts. Thanks for posting even though it was difficult and welcome! I know this forum can be an amazing resource to getting you to be the you you are really meant to be.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the introduction. Hope you are getting better and things fall as well as they possibly can legally.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all. This forum is an amazing resource for me, and I read it several times per day. Yesterday sucked, but I got through and now have 3 weeks sober, with today being day 22. Thanks for the well wishes, the legal stuff will work out how it will work out. I'm hoping its not that bad and I continue to improve myself. I like myself for the first time in a long time. I'm proud of the 22 days. Have a good Thanksgiving, everyone.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting dafunba! I know it took courage!! Great work on 22 days.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dafunbra View Post
Thought it was time to share a little of my story, in the hope of maybe helping someone else and in the scheme of being open and honest.

On September 14, 2018, I clocked out of work at 1:55 pm. I live about 45-50 minutes away. At 2:30 pm police received a call of an erratic driver on the road I live on, but well past my house. I do not remember leaving work. I was not drinking at work. Its a very public environment and just not something that can be done. At 2:50 pm the police used stop sticks to blow my tires and get me to stop. I have no memory of any of this. Between when I left work and when they did a blood draw at 5:20 pm I had drank enough to have BAL of .27. This is my third DUI charge in the last two years, and it scared the living c r a p out of me because I have no recall of any of it. I am facing 4 felonies, including aggravated assault on a LEO because they are saying I tried to hit a cop car with my car. I know I didn't do that, but it is what it is.

My last drink was on October 31, 2018. I did that to force the woman in my life to walk away. Very intentional on my part. I want to protect her from my mess, for a number of reasons. And I also, very selfishly, don't want to lose her. She is an amazing woman. But I also want her to be protected and sheltered from my mess, so its complicated.

I am on day 21, three weeks, and this is by far the most sober time I have had in maybe a decade or more. Past history is I was in a very abusive marriage for a long time with a borderline and I know now I was self medicating to try and deal with it. I went to rehab. I'm in counseling and I'm in an intensive outpatient program now. I know I've had my last drink, but I also worry its too little too late. I met with my lawyer yesterday and I'm facing anything from probation to several years in prison.

My reason for posting this is simple - I want to be honest and open, it's imperative for my recovery. As most of you know, alcoholics are less than honest. I also wanted to let any of you know, if you think you can beat this on your own, like I did, without putting in the actual effort to really address your issues and fix them, you may not be able to. I was (am?) in a professional field, and I had a lot of smarts going for me, and I couldn't think myself out of my problems. My thinking always led back to the bottle. Get the help you may need. Don't be me. Thank you for reading.
Just wanted to quickly post to let you know you’re not alone. I also have 3 DUI’s and am working through the court process. I’ve been sober since November 2018.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chaisson View Post
I haven't had legal troubles (God knows only out of luck and the randomness of life) but easily could have and probably should have.
Same. It's an absolute miracle that I never got a DUI or any kind of legal trouble. God knows I drove while drunk or blacked out more times than I know. It was a lot.

I'm sure the only reason I got so lucky was because I live in a nice area of families and professionals. You almost never see cops around here. They hang out in other parts of town where all the UF students drink and live and leave us alone.

Stories like his make me very thankful I "woke up" before it got any worse.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

This confused me for a bit until I saw it was last year...

Dafunbra posts in the November 2018 class thread & is still doing well

D
Old 09-30-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hah, I didn't notice. I never look at the dates.