Notices

Racing thoughts/insomnia

Old 11-20-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Racing thoughts/insomnia

I am currently sober but coming off a bender. I was drinking only beer for the last couple weeks so my withdrawals are quite mild. The anxiety is worst part as it makes it impossible to sleep. I have a constant stream of negative thoughts and paranoia. The temporary relief a few beers bring is so hard to pass up because otherwise I am just pacing around my apartment with a sense of impending doom. I feel like I am losing my mind sometimes.

How do I stop these thoughts? Tips?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WL, as someone who has anxiety normally, though not to the extreme of impending doom (anymore), there's not a lot that you can do to completely stop such thoughts from occurring, but you can try to manage them somewhat. First, if the symptoms you are having are extreme and persistent, you can check with your doctor about temporary medical relief that may be considered appropriate based upon a medical evaluation. You might try a few other things on your own.
  • Chamomille tea
  • Distraction using TV
  • Walking around the block
  • A hot shower or bath
  • Thought stopping: acknowledge the distress and realize it is temporary and think of something else
  • Deep breaths, slowly, for 30 seconds

The above are all things that you can practice at night or during the day. During the day try to focus on doing some things that are positive for your recovery, and I think you have a good idea of things that can be done for that in your situation. Psychological withdrawal is as real as the physical, so you must attend to both. Do not give in to the desire to calm yourself with drink, it will just start the cycle over again. It's not easy, but you need to do it.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply. I have tried your suggestions besides the tea. I actually would go on walks at 3am to tire myself out. I doze off for maybe 20 minutes and wake back up with anxious thoughts. I sleep with the TV on to help drown out the thoughts. I can't fall asleep without it on. I just can't believe how I can go 2-3 days without any sleep.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to get on the internet and find things that interest me to keep distracted and also practice some breathing techniques. Withdrawal is the worst. I also used to go 30+ hours at a crack without sleep.