What It Really Takes

Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What It Really Takes

I was wandering the forums today and found a thread in the Newcomers section that I wanted to link to here: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...6-5-years.html (5 Years)

I hope this will be helpful in several ways--for one, it shows us what is really involved in getting and staying sober, so we can see the A's vague promises of "doing better" or "changing" for what they are. I heard this from XAH so many, many times, and even on topics unrelated to drinking. He was going to quit smoking, but w/o any plan or support. And I don't know if he ever made it more than a day. It takes much more than good intentions or high hopes...

For another, it shows that long-term sobriety is indeed really possible--but again, not w/o a plan and a lot of work. Thomas Edison said "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." I'd suggest that recovery is probably much the same.

And last, and certainly not least, in my opinion, is that I can see myself in that story. No, I don't have the specific problem of alcoholism, but I do have other crosses to bear. My way out is exactly the same as the A's way out--make a plan, work the plan, seek help when I need it, and trust that I'll be shown what I need to know when I need to know it. I know there are others here with whom that will resonate.

I'll close w/this quote from the thread:
Sobriety as time goes on stops becoming less and less about not drinking, but about carving out and developing the life that we were once deprived of, and the future that we want to pursue, there is no denying that we must find a way to fill the void of alcohol, and this is the foundation of Sobriety, not simply not drinking, but living a life we can be proud of and those around us also can be proud of.

Tonight I go to bed under the moonlight as 5 Years Sober . . . but tomorrow morning I awake with the sunrise that proclaims . . . just one more day . . .
Old 11-17-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

<quote>
My way out is exactly the same as the A's way out--make a plan, work the plan, seek help when I need it, and trust that I'll be shown what I need to know when I need to know it.
</quote>

Yes, this right here. It’s a lot of work to get better - but the work requires a plan and a vision of the life I want.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My way out is exactly the same as the A's way out--make a plan, work the plan, seek help when I need it, and trust that I'll be shown what I need to know when I need to know it. I know there are others here with whom that will resonate.
**raises hand** Amen, Sister.....amen.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's being dry and there's being sober. The writer showed how much hard work is involved in recovery. I'm in my 28th year of sobriety and can look back and see how long it takes to really change. Two steps forward, one step back. I wouldn't have stayed sober without AA, the steps and sponsorship. I wouldn't have rid myself of the worst relationship of my life without Alanon.