Notices

Changes in 60 days

Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes in 60 days

Hey everyone. I have 60 days sober today. It feels like I’ve walked through ten lifetimes to get to this point. 61 days ago right about this time, the police were in my home and my husband was walking out with our kids. I woke up in our bathtub alone, without my family. To say I hit rock bottom was an understatement for me. I somehow scrapped myself off the floor, shook and puked my way through a few days of detox, And made it into the rooms of AA. I have a sponsor, I have 63 aa meetings under my belt, I just got a new pretty decent job, and most importantly I have my kids home, and I have been a good mom.
I just wanted to share, it hasn’t been easy, but I’ve finally put all the effort I was putting into my drinking, into my recovery. I know this road is long, and challenging, but I am so beyond thankful to be sober and in recovery. Finally.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sixty days sober is wonderful! Stay sober and it will get better still.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I’m glad it’s getting better.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations 🎈🎉 it’s amazing how low alcohol can take us and how much we can accomplish each day further from the last drink
Old 11-17-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on your recovery journey keep on working everyday pray that alcohol will not enter your life again.

i am on day 11 focusing on one day at a time.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
it hasn’t been easy, but I’ve finally put all the effort I was putting into my drinking, into my recovery. I know this road is long, and challenging, but I am so beyond thankful to be sober and in recovery. Finally.
This is it. Really. Keep sharing. And keep fighting the good fight.

One day at a time.

-B
Old 11-17-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is the best!
Excited for you and it gets better!!
Jules
Old 11-18-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Kiki !

D
Old 11-18-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kiki well done it is great you have your children back.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
Hey everyone. I have 60 days sober today..... I have 63 aa meetings under my belt,
I did it the same way, and it coincides with my experience. I was committed to sobriety, and I think your 63 in 60 shows the same kind of commitment I had. Like you, I logged a few more meetings than I had days. It may be different for others, but for me, and likely you, that constant attendance at daily meetings was an important life line. I went to that many meetings for several reasons. First, was fighting the cravings. I felt if I could just make it to the next meeting, I could make it through another night and it seemed like it worked.

Second, I would have been humiliated by showing up at a meeting, and announcing that I had failed even for just one day. Third, I needed serious support, and I had no other place to get it than in meetings. At best my friends could offer encouragement, but not one seemed to understand the struggle that was going on inside me.

And last, I found the meetings to be enjoyable for the most part. I had a place to go and report everyday without ever running the risk of boring anyone. I liked seeing the happy faces when I announced I had made it through another day, and I enjoyed seeing happy faces when I lavishly expressed my constant gratitude to the group for it's support. It got me through some critical times, and when my confidence became more established, I just kept going. When I was out of town, I found out where a meeting was that night, even before I arrived at my destination.

I went to a police station one time to get a list of meeting days and times. I took the police a bit of time to put a list together. It took about 15 minutes and a couple of calls on the part of the police, but they seemed happy to do it. I would sneak off from the people I was visiting to go to a meeting, because I was still a bit embarrassed about going public with my comings and goings.

Eventually, I left AA because I found some parts of the program annoying, but I always felt the support was crucial to my sobriety. Eventually, I didn't need support and not attending was no longer important, but I never failed once. I struggled a bit at times, but was always grateful, never regretted a thing, and never looked back.

I have a close friend today, who stopped drinking without a meeting or rehab years and years ago. He drank out of control and then just stopped on his own. For the life of me, I don't know how he did it.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

kiki, you've had a long battle with this, I hope you and I never forget where one drink would take us.

Hang on to your sobriety with all you've got.

Congratulations on two months. That's pretty great.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is terrific! Thank you for sharing. Keep doing the right things.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What an empowering post. Congrats to you Kiki. You keep going the way you're going.
im right behind you at 53 days. I also see that the road is long, but at least we're on it.