Notices

5 Years

Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Years

The longer one walks on this journey, the longer one unproductively gets embarrassed about milestones and achievements, we continue to walk amongst those that are still aiming for that 1st day, that 1st week, that 1st month, and so we convince ourselves that announcing a number of years won’t be helpful, it may even be counterproductive as the burden of years may seem both unimaginable and unachievable.

But I remember back to when I first darkened the door of SR, I joined a class, I posted in Newcomers, I posted in the Weekenders thread, I posted anywhere that would pass another hour of Sobriety, and I remember back to when someone celebrated a milestone, and it gave me hope, it showed me it was possible, it cut through all my emotions, thoughts and feelings, and it said to me this can be done.

What would I have done differently? . . . not a thing, this was the journey set out for me, and here I am, all of that hatred of myself, the self defeat, those moments of thinking I am neither able to do this or I don’t deserve this, all of those feelings have evaporated through time, I guarantee you will get to that point when you will know you do deserve this, you deserve so much more than what alcohol is promising, something beyond our comprehension or wildest dreams, but we have to give it a chance.

5 Years ago I couldn’t string a day of Sobriety together, I had convinced myself it couldn’t be done, but with a plan, a daily routine, a breaking down of old habits and rebuilding of a new lifestyle, the repetitive cycle of addiction can be broken.

I couldn’t have done it without those around me, and this my challenge, where is your support? are you using it? are you relying on it? are we breaking down the barriers each and every day to make Sobriety happen? the bar is set quite high, but it is achievable, and let me tell you, it is worth it, in my own mind that was addicted I was up against it, but with the right support and resources it was possible.

I want to thank everyone who has inspired me on my journey, there are too many to mention, but I want to make a special mention of my classmates of November 2013, such a very long time ago it feels now, but we all joined in the hope our lives could be changed . . . Gilmer and Notimetoloose . . . Comrades in arms . . .

Sobriety as time goes on stops becoming less and less about not drinking, but about carving out and developing the life that we were once deprived of, and the future that we want to pursue, there is no denying that we must find a way to fill the void of alcohol, and this is the foundation of Sobriety, not simply not drinking, but living a life we can be proud of and those around us also can be proud of.

Tonight I go to bed under the moonlight as 5 Years Sober . . . but tomorrow morning I awake with the sunrise that proclaims . . . just one more day . . .

PK

Old 11-16-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for showing it can be done. Long term sobriety is possible and it's enjoyable.

Congrats on five years sober!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Appreciate that post. It has helped me through a tough night on day 41. Thank you
Old 11-16-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations, PK! Five years is a seriously great accomplishment and one to celebrate!

All the best to you.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow purpleknights!

I am saving this is part of my wisdom for sobriety library. very eloquently said.

Thank you thank you thank you, from the bottom of my heart For such a wonderful and inspiring post.

I think your Class of November 2013 SR active members are incredible, and I look forward to and I am inspired by, your stories, wisdom, and guidance.

Big hugs surrounding you❤️����
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 years sober PK! Awesome job
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats! Such an awesome post!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Magnificent post, PK!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic achievement - I'm 3 years behind you (almost) - I wish we could let everyone have a day or two, the way we feel now - just to show how amazing it feels. The calmness and peace of mind that comes with sobriety.
Like you, I literally used to take it 5 minutes at a time - that's how long a game takes in the Arcade (up top) and I remember signing into it one day and finally signing back out 7 whole hours later! It worked though - 5 minutes at a time.
Well done on 5 years!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PK - We love you, and we're so proud.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing, PurpleKnight! I truly appreciate hearing from people in recovery.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats PK - and thank you for sharing that recovery really is possible

D
Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 years, PK!

Awesome post.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. What you wrote, “you deserve so much more than what alcohol is promising” really resonated with me. We all do deserve that. I have 60 days today’s thanks to my support, and reading posts like this. Thank you. And congratulation.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post PK and happy 5 years anniversary
Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well dne bro
Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations PK.
Really great post.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

PurpleKnight, 5 years sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great read.
Conratulations!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I got to the end and just started tearing over, that was lovely.!

The biggest heartfelt Congratulations PK.

...and thank you so much for sharing and helping so many here. x