Notices

Bad week

Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad week

So this weekend I built a handicap ramp for an elderly man, a very close friend of my family whom I’ve known my whole life. Tuesday I found out he had passed. Yesterday I found out that a good friend of mine who told me his cancer was in remission is now at home in hospice care. This morning I had to have my cat put down due to cancer. Just got done burying her. I haven’t dealt with much adversity since getting sober. Man when it rains it pours. I am not going to drink because as we all know it will make a bad situation exponentially worse. But boy life is testing the limits of what I can handle at once. If it were earlier on, Im not ashamed to say that I might have stopped at one of the hundred package stores I passed today. Dealing with bad situations logically and not picking up is something that I will just have to get used to. No matter how ****** I feel right now, there’s a part of me that feels good that I can deal with these things head on without clouding my judgement and pushing the pain deep down where it would eventually ruin another aspect of my life. Anyway thanks for listening. It feels good to have someone to vent to even if it’s with a bunch of strangers on the internet.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for the loss of your two friends and the loss of your cat. It really has been a tough week for you. But, you will get through this, without alcohol, and you will be stronger for it.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have seen something very worthwhile Accord. Acceptance of life on life's terms, no matter how difficult- is NEVER made better with booze. You also have shown you have resilience and resolved. Very well done.
Prayers for you and your friends- and the loss of your cat.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Accord,

Thank you for sharing your post. Its terrible you’ve had such a rough week, what’s so wonderful is that you chose not pick up the booze.

It is so difficult to manage life stressors sober when we have managed them before only under Crutch and the hazy film of alcohol. But it is very very passable and very necessary for us to Menards them sober, just like it sounds you’re doing.

I’m very very sorry for your rough week, big hugs surrounding you.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your rough week accord, but I know you can get through this and keep your recovery intact - lean on the support here

D
Old 11-15-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rotten week, and still sober. This is a big step. I'm sorry about your week, but your choice not to drink suggests to me that you have the necessary determination to make recovery successful.

The next challenge might very well be resisting the temptation to break out the bottle and celebrate an exceptionally good week. That's how it was for me. I was always celebrating a good day or drinking to relax after a bad day.

As an alcoholic I was always telling myself I had a reason to drink, when in truth, I was only drinking because I was an alcoholic. I have no idea what I needed the mind games for.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good weeks, bad weeks, normal weeks, I used everything and anything as an excuse to drink. Now, I still have good and bad weeks, but I don't look for any excuse to drink. I like it much better now. Life still happens, and now I am an active participant in all of it, both the good and the bad.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry for your losses this week. Life is hard especially when we're learning to do it all sober. On the bright side, you gained another week of sobriety and are even stronger than last week. Good vibes to you and I hope you find some happy times in the upcoming week.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a crappy week. I’m glad you’re sober. It feels awkward to say congrats on getting thru that so I will just say sorry for your losses, and recognition of the pain that’s there. Thanks for the perspective.

-bexxed, an internet stranger.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your losses. Sending lots of love your way.❤️
Old 11-16-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i feel for you life is what it is we live we die. I do not understand it I kid myself into believing in reincarnation. For a girl who grow up as a catholic this is a stretch .

I am just trying to make sense of the inevitable lightness of being ha ha one of my favorite books. Dead sucks I see its purpose but as a human it crush me.

In your cat case I am a pet owner and lover, take comfort in the love you gave even his dead was an act of love. There are so many animals in shelters you can help your grief and find a new friend in need and bring him home.

not a bandage to your pain but being of service put things into perspective. Some lovely cats are waiting for a home in the shelter and you can save one of them and they can really save you.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Animals have that grace they can really save us