Notices

Definition and the feelings of heavy brain fog?

Old 11-14-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Definition and the feelings of heavy brain fog?

How would you describe heavy “Brain fog”?
How did it make you feel? Did it affect your eyes? Is it a stoned feeling?
Im trying to figure out what “Brain fog” is when people refer to it or how it made them feel/ and symptoms from it.

Is it a feeling of being impaired? If I had to describe my “Brain fog” I would say I feel impaired/ spacey/ feeling of taking a hit of marijuana but not a nice feeling. A feeling of being out there and not wanting to do much at all. I worry constantly if I messed my brain up because I don’t know why I feel impaired or a bit buzzy headed.

Basically how did Brain fog make you feel if you could best descibe it?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt a little fuzzy and slow, but it cleared up after a few weeks.

If you're concerned, maybe it would help if you talk to your doctor?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I felt a little fuzzy and slow, but it cleared up after a few weeks.

If you're concerned, maybe it would help if you talk to your doctor?
Thank you!
Wish I could go visit a doctor but I don’t have medical insurance. They would probably want to run a bunch of test. Just got a good job but benefits don’t start till 90 days. Hope I can stick with this job, it will be a challenge feeling this way at work.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You describe how i felt pretty much to the T. For me I felt like I had smoked myself stupid the night before but I had not smoked anything. It slowly cleared up for me. I would start having days where I would be clear part of the day and foggy the other. Then I would he clear most of the day and have interruptions of the fog. I noticed that stress seemed to make it worse. Just do not drink. If you want to heal you can't drink.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took awhile to get back to normal.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Slow reactions, forgetfulness, inability to concentrate. As gettingsmarter said, stress seemed to make it worse. I never had that kind of concentration problems when I was still drinking, so I thought I had damaged my brain permanently.

My brain fog started to dissolve bit by bit after a couple of months, but I still get it if I'm very stressed.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is very recent for me (unfortunately!) - forgive me if this is a bit vague but trying to describe physical feelings is hard...

I feel it like a dull ache behind the eyes, or more accurately where the third eye would be in chakra lines. It’s like a thin piece of paper is slipped between my brain and my eyes. It made thinking a bit slower and (I hate to admit this but I should) made me pretty irrational - although at the time I felt rational. It also made me think the same thing over and over and over again, even simple things (like routine for leaving the house: keys, wallet, phone, lock door...keys, wallet etc etc.)

As an aside I am trying to become a more spiritual person, a hard ask for a hard, cynical atheist it turns out (who’d have thought 😉 ). When I meditate or express gratitude to my higher power I feel it in the same place - the ‘third eye’. Right between the eyes, just above the eye line. I’m no expert but I wonder if I am exercising a part of the brain I haven’t used for a long time? I can physically feel it as I meditate, same as I felt the fog in the first week dry. I do understand that the brain creates pathways with repetition and practice and this is why new habits, a whole new way of doing things, is the only option for me to be sober permanently.

Both my longer sober spell and for now the fog for me gradually lifted, but both times after 10 days I felt much much different. That’s just my experience and in itself brings its own challenges 👍
Old 11-15-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt cognitive tired. I would "think" more in an impulsive way, jumping from one thought to another between different topics. Flashes of daydreaming. Poor working memory, which is, I would forget from one moment to the other where I have put things. Short term memory: what did I ate yesterday for lunch. Physical ache like feeling between the eyes.

It got better over time, but when phases of less sleep, smoking too much, just overly strong emotional stimulation it got worse again.

Most recovering alcoholics report it took the about 6 month to get functional again. Same here. Taking brain oils, like omega 3 did not make any difference to me.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Blake, i hate hearing about all this continued struggle you are havin! You have been asking a lot of he same questions as this hasn't cleared up- I know you don't have insurance and while this doesn't sound exactly like an ER situation, perhaps you should go anyway? We can only share so much and perhaps a Dr there would see stuff we don't and can't.

I know it's crummy to incur bills for that kind of stuff but this is your life we are talking about.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Blake, i hate hearing about all this continued struggle you are havin! You have been asking a lot of he same questions as this hasn't cleared up- I know you don't have insurance and while this doesn't sound exactly like an ER situation, perhaps you should go anyway? We can only share so much and perhaps a Dr there would see stuff we don't and can't.
Now that I read you may have asked more often about this one, you may consider an underlying condition like ADHD.

I am saying that. because drawing from myself, I have a very small corridor of behavior to be able to think really structured. That is: rarely sugar, tons of water, workout and HIIT, regular sleep, detailed daily Task Plan.

Don't get me wrong, this is not about inteligence, creativity or thinking abilities alltogether, this is just about being able to think in clear terms on one topic and have the feeling of "controlled thinking".