Notices

Day 4(dy oz.)

Old 11-14-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4(dy oz.)

Didn’t make it through day 4. That is all. As you were.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that UhOh. How can we help?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe no one can?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Maybe no one can?
My guess is that if that were the case, you wouldn't be here in the first place , no?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can make it, you just have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this. Get rid of any alcohol you have left, and don't buy anymore. Maybe you can come up with a plan to have in place, so that this doesn't happen again. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Let me be the first former hopeless drunk to say it: if I can quit drinking, anyone can. Seriously.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Many of us here thought we were hopeless. But we have been able to achieve sobriety. I had countless relapses. I wanted to die. I’m now almost two years sober! I am a different person and life is so much better. You can do it! It is a difficult journey in the beginning and you do need support. But it is so worth it.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I second and third everything that everyone has expressed here. I used to always falter on my fourth or fifth day, somehow thinking each time that I could prevent the horrors of the previous binge this time. I never could.

The thing you have to accept (among many things) is that it takes a lot more than sheer willpower to maintain sobriety. Even after awful things happened in my life and I said to myself, you'd have to be INSANE to keep drinking after this -- I did, time and time again, return to drinking to temporarily forget the wreckage I'd made for myself. That's the insanity of it, which I'm sure at this point you know well.

I've been advised many times to think of treatment in the same way I thought of acquiring alcohol: by ANY means necessary. Put yourself in the uncomfortable place of admitting it to strangers. Sign up for an outpatient program. Admit it to your doctor and see if perhaps a medication would be appropriate for you (Campral saved my life). These things pale in comparison to the discomfort I was willing to endure to get alcohol when I was out of money, out of friends who trusted me with their money, alone with no transportation... and anything you do toward true recovery will have a positive outcome, nothing to lose.

You CAN do it!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

nah- not 'that is all' - there's not many of us who made it through first time.

Pick yourself up and try again

Maybe you need more support, maybe you need to use the support you have better, maybe you need to make more changes in your life - changes that better reflect your desire to be sober....I dunno.

If you talk about it, tell us what you were doing to stay sober and how that came undone - maybe we can help?

D
Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Come on, UhOh - you deserve to be sane and sober. Start again - we are with you.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What triggered/caused you to pick up? Anything or just wanted to?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I honestly am not too sure what triggers me. Sometimes, I think I know and I try to change or work around that. But at some point I always give in, maybe for a different reason. There’s always a stupid excuse to tell myself. I’ve done days, weeks, months, even years sober, here and there. I have no idea why I can’t stop it this time. I’m just stuck in that loop and can’t get out. I try over and over again and still fall down. I’ve made plans,went to meetings, everything. I’m just stuck in a rut.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us have had success by coming here for help first,before we drink, and posting and reading

Why not check out our November support thread - it's for everyone quitting this month:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-17.html

D
Old 11-14-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"There’s always a stupid excuse to tell myself." This caught my eye. In my opinion, start there." I had every excuse in the book. But I finally got so injured and sick, it didn't matter. You don't need to get to that point.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get sober, you just haven't done it yet. Try again. Try something different. Don't give up. I was ready to give up, but didn't, and am now close to nine years sober. It can be done.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please don’t give up. The fact that you are reaching out here means that you want to be sober. Acknowledge that. You say at some point, you always give in. That’s because you always give in. What if you didn’t give in? Just for one day? Then you replicate that the next day? You just take it one minute st a time and one day at a time. Do not think about the past or the future. Just think about being sober. That is all.

You say you have tried everything. What does that mean? If meetings, detox or rehab didn’t work, maybe you weren’t ready for it yet. Have you tried individual therapy (it saved me), meditation? Yoga? Talking to your doctor? Medication? Journaling your thoughts? Etc etc.

A relapse, no matter how many you’ve had is not a reason to give up. We are all human. This is a journey.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How many years did you have sober? When?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It doesn't have to be like this, UhOh.
6 weeks ago, after 700 or so relapses, I thought I was for sure done for and was ready to give up. I was terrified to quit.
It took massive effort, and getting and keeping a ton of support to make it stick again. Much more than ever before.

But yep, me too. If I can do it too, anyone can.
When you want it bad enough you will, you CAN make it happen.
Don't give up. Grab some water, have some sleep,
tomorrow is a new day. You are worth it, you deserve to be sober
Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

UhOh - Thinking of you - how's it going today? We're here to help.