Notices

Picking myself back up

Old 11-14-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Picking myself back up

I posted recently that I had a relapse after 6 months.
I'm trying not to count days anymore, because it just feels tedious....one day at a time, today I'm committing to not drink.

I'm trying to really focus on what went wrong last time and what I can do differently. For one, I think I'm going to get a new sponsor. This is a really hard and heartbreaking decision to make, but I think it's the right one.

Also, I need to be better at reaching out for help. Posting on here, picking up that phone when I feel like drinking. That's going to be a big struggle for me. I HATE to bother people at work or in their free time with my own drama.

I might switch up the meetings I go to, see some new faces and hear new messages.

I'm even gonna try going to church to improve that conscious contact with God.

Not sure. What did you do differently after a lapse?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello ! I read your post well done six months . I would ssk myself why i do drink . What i am trying to numb or escape from . Unless it was psychological av and all underlying staff sorted. I m spiritual myself but from expierience and watching expierience of other people God is not gonna sort those primary staff. Faith can give us strenght to deal but work is on our side. Good luck on your journey . All my love x D
Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
I posted recently that I had a relapse after 6 months.
I'm trying not to count days anymore, because it just feels tedious....one day at a time, today I'm committing to not drink.

I'm trying to really focus on what went wrong last time and what I can do differently. For one, I think I'm going to get a new sponsor. This is a really hard and heartbreaking decision to make, but I think it's the right one.

Also, I need to be better at reaching out for help. Posting on here, picking up that phone when I feel like drinking. That's going to be a big struggle for me. I HATE to bother people at work or in their free time with my own drama.

I might switch up the meetings I go to, see some new faces and hear new messages.

I'm even gonna try going to church to improve that conscious contact with God.

Not sure. What did you do differently after a lapse?
Those all sounds like great ideas BMB, glad to hear that you are taking a full inventory of your recovery efforts.

The one thing that I did differently that really made a difference was accepting my addiction for what it truly is. And in turn accepting that I simply cannot drink any amount of alcohol ever - without severe consequences. Meetings, support, therapy, counseling, all of those things are great - but none of them can own the problem for you - I needed to do that.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't count days either, to me it doesn't matter how long its been since my last drink, what matters is that I don't drink just for today. I'll worry about tomorrow when it comes. Congrats on getting back at it.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I';m glad you're back bringmeback. All that sounds like a good start - my only comment would be there's a bit of 'I might...not sure' in there...try everything...leave no stone unturned. This is a fight for your life essentially.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on a plan to avoid another relapse. Do whatever it takes for you to stay sober. And, try to make time to do something that you enjoy as often as you can.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess the important thing about picking yourself up is that - as much as possible - you avoid climbing straight back onto the horse that threw you off. It sounds, though, like you've got a well thought out, effective plan. Best wishes
Old 11-14-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, I had to know, absolutely, that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are things bringmeback?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
how are things bringmeback?
They're okay. I appreciate you checking up on me ! Still looking for a new sponsor but busy with work. Trying to be really vulnerable and open with people in the fellowship.