Notices

Skiers? (skiing and drinking)

Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Skiers? (skiing and drinking)

I've been a skier since I was a kid, and had enjoyed skiing through my adult years into collegiate racing and competition after university.

The problem is, skiing as an adult always involved alcohol... After races, the congratulatory podium spray-down of champagne/beer, sitting in the hot-tub throwing down drinks. Recreational skiing always involved bloody mary's to start, bars as soon as you get down and all over the mountain. It started with drinking after skiing, but I used to hang out with folks that would drink on the drive up to the resort as a crew (driver not drinking), then fireball all day with a few stops in the bar for breaks, followed by apres bar-time.

I was feeling a little lost being sober for 8 months, but started rock climbing again, and decided I'd bring skiing back into my life. The problem is, skiing takes a bit of risk, and a lot of risk takers I know drink a lot. I really miss the laughs and stories at the bar after skiing, talking to new people and making friends. Now I make it a point to go straight to my car after drinking, wondering if my crew of friends is hanging out at the bar. I've been able to hang out with friends at mellow bars outside of skiing, but something about the activity really drops my guard.

Any fellow skiers out there that understand? What did you do to make the drinking situation easier, and rewire yourself to enjoy the sport without the booze? I guess this would correlate to boating, waterskiing, or something like a sober trip to Ibiza.

I've saved money to buy new skis and a pass this year to congratulate myself for being sober, but this feeling was unexpected.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't ski anymore, I live in arizona but skied a lot in life. However I would never drink and ski. A single beer in the lodge would actually impact my performance on skis. I was pretty hardcore, lived in alaska at the bottom of the resort, had a pass every year. Hiked the backcountry, ski 100+ days a year kind of skier.

I had no problem having a couple and sitting behind the wheel but I'd never drink and ski.

You can actually ski all day without hitting the lodge, just show up, ski until you can't move your legs, then go home and crash.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ski at least 40 times a yr in the northeast. There was nothing better than beers after skiing on the lodge deck with the sun out.
I’ve e been sober for a year, last yr I still hung out on the deck for a little bit with my wife then left. Tough in the beginning got a lot easier. Waking up fresh the next morning and being out there without a hangover was great, can’t wait for the snow this yr.
I just felt like I was programmed to drink doing anything. As I sat on the deck with my coffee it seemed a lot of other people were “ programmed “ to drink also.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
What did you do to make the drinking situation easier, and rewire yourself to enjoy the sport without the booze?
If you are skiing for enjoyment of the activity, you can do it without drinking. If you are skiing for the drinking...maybe skiing isn't really that fun for you. And the way you are romancing the alcohol component, it seems more about the drinking and less about the sport.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been a skier all my life, too. I'm almost 11 months sober now, but last winter it was a little tough, especially when spending time in my aunt's ski house which is stocked with tons of alcohol. Once I got over the initial hump, I actually enjoyed myself more. Drinking while skiing always made me more anxious, even though I would have sworn that it relaxed me. Apres-ski was all about the food, and having that exhausted-but-not-drunk feeling I haven't experienced since I was a kid was honestly amazing. Cold, beautiful slopes, peace, exercise, warm comfort food...I was finally able to enjoy it all and feel fully present. I just posted in another thread that I'm really looking forward to weekly ski trips this year.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I associated literally every activity in my life with drinking. Mowing the lawn, going camping, having a cookout, painting the basement, going for a bike ride, you name it. And yes, every single one of those things reminded me of drinking after I quit. I literally couldn't fathom how I could do any of them without a beer in my hand or close by.

Bottom line though, it's not really about the skiing - it's about the drinking. Carl nailed it - did you really miss and enjoy the skiing or the drinking? They are 2 completely separate and distinct activities. And it is entirely possible to participate in one without the other - do you really need to hang out at the bar after you are done for example? I was in an adult ski racing league that almost always involved hanging out at the bar afterwards to drink and await the results - but now that I don't drink I realizes that there are plenty of people who just hang out for the results and don't drink because they have to drive home. It was just a small number that I was part of who stayed far longer than others drinking the night away.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic, nor do I really ski. However, I went on a ski trip at one point and was AMAZED by the amount of drinking people do during this sport.

I personally think it's crazy. Skiing is dangerous, and to drink and ski is just negligent. I personally am a clumsy person who hurts myself easily LOL, so I did not drink a drop the entire time. That being said, I can fully recognize the temptation there if you are a big drinker.

I would say stay away from such an environment if it's triggering to you.

If it makes you feel any better, I am the same at a local baker that serves lunch. They have these amazing desserts that I cannot seem to pass up, so I don't go there!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Like Kdon said, I was programmed to drink doing anything. Drank while cooking, gardening, reading a good book, watching a movie, getting a manicure, skiing. . Yep, even working and sometimes driving (not drinking, then driving. Drinking while driving).

I am a skier too. We go on trips every year and ski all over. I used to have “happy poles” which we’d fill with peppermint schnapps and drink on the lift. Then we’d get sloshed at the lodge at the end of the day. Then there was always the hot tub at the place, and more beer or wine. Last year was my first sober skiing ever. I was envious of seeing others drinking- until a young woman fell off her chair passed out and an ambulance was called. It’s just not a good look on anyone, you know?

I’m looking forward to the next ski trip without booze. We might try to convince ourselves we are better skiers with a buzz. But that’s just the AV talking. You can’t ski fearlessly if you are under the influence of anything. You have to be fully present.

I prefer a double shot espresso to get me going down the slopes.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I loved skiing as a kid, and was obsessed since I was a kid, watching Greg Stump videos until the VHS wore out. That was before I was drinking on the slopes, so I truly loved skiing. I still have that element in me, but have bad knees and a constantly dislocating fibula. The fibula dislocated skating to the run, so I may use my pass protection, and get my wisdom tooth pulled and have my knee looked at instead. I need to look at my priorities closer, but was hoping I could rekindle some joys after working out since I stopped drinking.

I'm realizing how far behind I am, and I feel really overwhelmed with what I feel like I have to do to catch up on wasted time. My work partner says I'm way too hard on myself, but I guess I'm wired that way, and didn't know it.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey sobersolstice

I know nothing about skiing but I will say I got back into playing music and I don't feel the pull to drink or drug when I'm doing that, even when others are - I waited a good year or so before I tried that though.

As for feeling behind...without trying I've done more in the last ten years than I did in the previous 20 as a drinker...not drinking just naturally gives me more time and more sustained energy.

try and let it happen a bit more maybe... as opposed to trying to force it?

I feel a lot more chilled now I've let go of my need to control every second of my life.

D
Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There might be a lot you didn’t know about yourself when you were drinking. You will discover so much about yourself with continued sobriety. Being hard on myself as well as obsessive worry about everything are a couple things that led me to drink in the first place and to previous relapses.

Let the sober knowledge you are gaining about yourself inspire you to value your accomplishments and make any necessary changes in your life. Sobriety is the best gift you can give yourself.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
I need to look at my priorities closer, but was hoping I could rekindle some joys after working out since I stopped drinking.
There's absolutely nothing that says you can't rekindle old joys or continue to participate in activities you used to enjoy. As a matter of fact you have increased the options you have available by quitting drinking. Alcohol limits not only your ability to physically do things, but it chemically depresses your brain as well.

I think the issue you face is the same one most of it did...your addiction is trying to convince you that drinking alcohol was the reason you had "Fun" - when in reality it's actually the opposite.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was trying to make up for lost time, but now that I think about it, I started drinking at age 8, so making up for 33 years of being behind in life is a bit tricky in a year, but I've been trying.

I've been hard on myself with regard to everything: Failing at living a regimented life, taking care of my parents, possible career change, not knowing who I am 100%, finding a partner, two surgeries I need to have done, figuring out my purpose in life, what to do when I get there, etc. I had 8 gray hairs a year ago, and now I'm salt and pepper.

I'm doing things I know because they brought me joy. Skiing is a weird one because I enjoyed it while sober, and while buzzed. In my 20's, I've had some really good times skiing with my friends, wearing crazy costumes and falling all over the place; alas, I'm not in my 20's anymore.

I'll eventually figure it out...
Old 11-15-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
Last year was my first sober skiing ever. I was envious of seeing others drinking- until a young woman fell off her chair passed out and an ambulance was called. It’s just not a good look on anyone, you know?
I loved that. I remember my sponsor saying one time in response to something or other, "Sometimes I've wondered if I am really an alcoholic or just a slob."

Indeed, drinking seldom brings out the best in us. I don't mind being around others that drink, but I don't put myself in situations where people are falling down and slobbering. It's not like this would tempt me. It's just not fun to watch.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love to ski. Cross country and downhill. I even lived in Norway for three years.
I always had drink on me, to have a sip or 9 while going up the lift or at a break point. I still love to ski, just don't have the drink anymore. It's very possible, you just have to find the love you had for the sport or activity that you once had, which in all honesty was a lot simpler for me to do than I thought it would be. I still ski several times a year, but like everything else now I just do it without the drinking, and it's even better.