I keep screwing up my life with alcohol

Old 11-12-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep screwing up my life with alcohol

My wife and kids are going through hell dealing with me and my binges. To be gone for days at a time drinking and spending our monthly budget. Not being around my kids as they are asking ( where’s dad) really hurts. During my binges I think if nobody but myself and what I’m drinking next. This has been a problem for 10 years of regrets for me. I honestly feel overwhelmed and hopeless as I’m trying to hold myself together. My family don’t deserve this, I need to find strength to carry on as I deal with my mind and heart in pain...I need to find support since I can’t sleep due to shakes and my body just in pain...any one can relate or have any encouragement for me
Old 11-13-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

The best encouragement I can give you is find enough support to help you stop drinking - it all starts from there

you may have meant to post this in Alcoholism forum?
Myself or another mod can move it for you if you wish.

Let us know.

D
Old 11-13-2018, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good morning, toughroad;

I'm really glad you are reaching out in some way for help. You will find plenty of encouragement to stop drinking here!

I've seen plenty of success stories here of people who had no hope of ever getting better finding a way forward--finding a community of people who could truly understand and support them.

You've found a great place here in SR. Welcome!!!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know your pain, I have been there myself. As I am sure all other alcoholics here have too.
With the help of Sober Recovery and AA I am nearly 7 months sober. The first few months were really hard but I stuck at it . By the end of my drinking I wasn't living. I was barely existing. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had 2 choices. To carry on as I was and die (either through drinking or killing myself) or get sober and live. I chose to live.

I PROMISE you that putting down the drink will be the best thing you ever do. I took it day by day and each day I vowed never to pick up a drink NO MATTER WHAT . I didn't think about tomorrow, or the day after; I just got through that day only and got my head on my pillow at night sober. Woke up and did the same.

In the last 6 and a half months, I haven't done one thing I regret, I wake up with no guilt or shame of what I may have done the night before, I have more money in my purse, I am a good daughter and friend and best of all I am a sober, present and loving mummy to my 6 year old daughter and today, by all miracles of miracles, I do not even want to drink. For someone who lived to drink that is pretty amazing.

As Dee said maybe move your post to the alcoholism or newcomers to recovery forum. You are not alone.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Toughroad! Welcome!
Post in the "Alcoholics" Forum, so much experience, strength and hope there, you will find real support and help.

From our side of the forums, as Friends and Family of Alcoholics I can tell you we all want our loved ones to choose sobriety, we know how difficult it is, and we know that YOU have to make that decision and get lots of support from healthcare professionals and other recovered alcoholics to show you the way.

You can take that first step, you can do it.

Keep reaching out and accepting help. There is a wonderful sober world out here and even when it's not wonderful it is manageable when sober. My recovered A Father used to say, "There's no problem that a drink won't make WORSE!"

Good luck & Peace,
B.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Toughroad, I had to snoop your previous posts to see if you were my husband, LOL.
Lord, if I had the magic answer for you, then I could help my own husband, but the honest answer is that you (the alcoholic) have to do the work. Recovery *is* possible, or there wouldn't be those 'old-timers' at the AA meetings with 20 and 30 yrs. of sobriety underneath their belts. Find a program, go into rehab, whatever...and then do exactly what they tell you to do. Also try praying to God. I've found that always helps and never hurts.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I got desperate enough I crawled on my hands and knees to AA in 1991 and surrendered to the program. We alcoholics can't do it on our own, we need the help and support of other drunks. I promise you you can stop drinking one day at a time.