Notices

Day 9: Doing Well

Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9: Doing Well

On Day 9. Physically and even emotionally feeling well — physically great! I am looking forward to going to my IOP tomorrow. I am actually getting kind of excited about this all working out, and getting sober. Been going to meetings and will make one tonight. My sponsor is in Cuba until tomorrow. He loves cigars and hopefully he will bring some back oh, and my Longhorns won last night in the last 20 seconds of the game!!

Big test next weekend though. A while back I promised Mrs. Horn95 to take her to Vegas this weekend. It is both our anniversary and her birthday. And y’all know booze is EVERYWHERE in Vegas. I will likely spend as much time as I can playing blackjack. Can’t drink while doing that.

You know, in many ways, that DWI was the best thing that could have happened to me. It REALLY woke me the heck up.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good on you getting through day 9 and I like breakthrough epiphanies too keep up the good fight
Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great job Horn!! x
Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling the physical benefits of sobriety.

I think the key to your Vegas trip will be planning, planning, planning. Have a strategy for every possible scenario. When they come up and offer you drinks, tell them you don't drink so that they don't continue to pester you.Talk to your sponsor and your wife and let them know that you're serious about staying sober for this trip.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're doing great well done. you can stay sober on your weekend away and really enjoy the weekend I'm visiting ny on Friday for a long weekend and determined to stay sober too. We can do this 😃
Old 11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vegas is a horrilble idea this early on. You can very much drink while playing BJ...and it's "free booze" at that.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe you can post here with updates from Vegas regularly, to keep yourself accountable. If I end up at the Renaissance festival next weekend, that’s what I’m going to do. Of course Vegas will be a bigger challenge, but just keep reminding yourself how great you’ll feel on that flight back once you’ve made through.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad things are looking up Horn

Be really really careful in Vegas--not many more dangerous places you could go.
What about a spa or some other nice place nearby but not in the city?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
I am actually getting kind of excited about this all working out, and getting sober.
This. So This. Be excited. It's real.

Getting sober is a celebration. It's courageous. It's important. It's worth throwing ourselves into.

If we've had nothing else of meaning in our lives sobriety is well worth being that.

Sobriety is so many good and worthy things. Too many to count. In fact, you triggered something in me I think I'll post about.

-B
Old 11-11-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very happy for you, Horn. You never have to return to the bad old days.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, talk about walking into the lion's den, but you can get through it if you are cognizant of how you are reacting to what is around you and within you. I'd tie a string around my finger to remind myself to make the right decisions when by yourself. Have a plan of what to do if you are feeling the desire to drink: exercise, calling your sponsor (or arrange for a substitute that you can reach), post to SR, get your hair cut. When I was travelling and NOT drinking, I looked up where the local meetings were if I needed a place of sobriety, and if you can on your schedule, carve out an hour devoted to proactive sober thinking or presence each day, maybe while your wife is doing something on her own. You can have a good time while avoiding the alcohol, and I look forward to hearing how you did it.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Vegas is a horrilble idea this early on. You can very much drink while playing BJ...and it's "free booze" at that.
Yep. I’ll just tell the waitresses I don’t drink. Plus my wife will be playing with me. And she will not let me drink.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is wonderful news, Horn. I’m really happy for you with your progress so far.

I second everyone else in being very careful in Vegas. Have a solid plan. Non negotiable. If possible, check in with us here when you can. Hopefully you and your wife can support each other while still having a good time.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

horn,

9 days is a good start. My problems didn't start to scare me until I was around 80 days clean and still felt very messed up.

Hang in there. It is a slippery slope relapsing and hell climbing back out. We all know that.

Definitely have a plan for Vegas. Eat a lot, see shows, plan to see old vegas and new vegas. Uber is awesome. Check Groupon. 2 for 1 all day.

I have spent a bit of time in Vegas as a sober man and I was surprised how few people I see drinking or drunk. There might be drunk people all over, but they don't always have a drink in their hand or act drunk.

Mostly, just pumping money into slots or playing cards.

Planet Hollywood has an amazing breakfast buffet at the Brazilian Steak House. This is top secret so don't tell anyone but SR folks.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you sounding better Horn

D
Old 11-12-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you're doing well Horn.

I went to Vegas a little after a year'ssobriety, and wasn't tempted to drink, but the amount of alcohol around was rather annoying. I was pretty strong in my sobriety at that point, I do not know if I could have handled the trip so early in sobriety.

Is it possible to go somewhere else to celebrate the weekend? There are lots of towns decorating for the holiday season now, maybe a bed and breakfast and some possible tree lightings?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Glad you're doing well Horn.

I went to Vegas a little after a year'ssobriety, and wasn't tempted to drink, but the amount of alcohol around was rather annoying. I was pretty strong in my sobriety at that point, I do not know if I could have handled the trip so early in sobriety.

Is it possible to go somewhere else to celebrate the weekend? There are lots of towns decorating for the holiday season now, maybe a bed and breakfast and some possible tree lightings?
Nope. I would love to do exactly that. But she has been looking forward to this trip for a while. However, just told me she will not let me drink.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nope. I would love to do exactly that. But she has been looking forward to this trip for a while. However, just told me she will not let me drink.

I invite you to break down this post. To me it kind of embodies the struggles I have observed over the past year.

If you would love to do something other than Vegas, you may want to consider expressing that. If this is truly a life or death struggle I would think your wife would appreciate your honesty? Or not?

Her not letting you drink, or hating your drinking, or threatening to leave you has not really been preventative in the past.

I have no doubt Horn you will make it through this Vegas trip sober. You have the 'strength' to prove to her that you can do this. But what if you were to challenge that thinking. Challenge all of your thinking. Its the thinking, the boundaries, the lack of communication. I dunno, maybe I'm completely off base or speaking a foreign language. I don't think the dynamic in your marriage is part of the solution however. Just my observation...

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post

I invite you to break down this post. To me it kind of embodies the struggles I have observed over the past year.

If you would love to do something other than Vegas, you may want to consider expressing that. If this is truly a life or death struggle I would think your wife would appreciate your honesty? Or not?

Her not letting you drink, or hating your drinking, or threatening to leave you has not really been preventative in the past.

I have no doubt Horn you will make it through this Vegas trip sober. You have the 'strength' to prove to her that you can do this. But what if you were to challenge that thinking. Challenge all of your thinking. Its the thinking, the boundaries, the lack of communication. I dunno, maybe I'm completely off base or speaking a foreign language. I don't think the dynamic in your marriage is part of the solution however. Just my observation...

Good luck.
i appreciate that. But I don’t want to go to Vegas simply because I don’t enjoy it anymore. It’s like going to clubs. Been there done that. I agree the dynamic in my marriage is not helpful. She, quite frankly, does not believe in “alcoholism.” She literally has told me she does know people get “addicted”. She thinks it is purely a matter of strength and willpower.

But I have put her through a lot. And in her own way she has been very supportive. I think many of the things I have perceived and posted about on here are the product of a warped view of my situation. Warped by alcohol. In fact, I am sure it is that.

I will make a plan to avoid the toughest situations. And plan activities that keep us out of bars and clubs.

Thanks for all the reaponses guys.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know one of my biggest problems was that I didn't trust myself out in public if drinking. 70% of the time things would be just fine, the other 30% I would get diarrhea of the mouth, think I know how to dance, tell stupid jokes etc...then when I woke up in the morning and my adult brain was back in charge I'd feel humiliated.