Notices

Music

Old 11-09-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music

I’m learning to listen to music without drinking. One of my old favorite things to do was to catch a big buzz and zone out listening to songs that bring back memories. I’m learning I can do that without the alcohol. It’s very powerful and almost therapeutic. But I have to be careful it can be a trigger. I also have to be careful not to romanticize alcohol too much.

It wasn’t all bad times. It’s remembering the good times that can keep us locked in addiction. We forget how bad it got. We want the good times back. I have to be careful.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I very seldom watch TV. There are so many great radio stations here. I love them, the college stations.
It's funny. They just played a song titled, 'I fought the bottle and the bottle won'
Ironic.
I find it therapeutic and relaxing. Doesn't want me to have a drink at all.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m the say way with music. I used to drink and turn it up to 11, now I listen not quite as loud and still enjoy!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. When I stopped drinking I couldn't listen to music at all, it was such a trigger. Then I learned to listen to music without associating it with alcohol.

Good thing I did, it really is therapeutic.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree. Music is a constant source of joy and sorrow for me. It has the power to move me viscerally and seems to integrate itself as the predominant emotional language I am most intimate with. I deconstruct music that moves me into a very real, if abstract, emotional agent that guides me. And I fully appreciate the trigger component in so may ways. But one relates to the premature passing of my sister about 7 years ago now. Never, in any stage of contemplation, could I ever have imagined what her passing would do to me. I had no idea just how much she meant to me. It was a cruel and ironic joke because I used to judge harshly people who lamented their loss when people close to them died. I had gone through it with both parents and held both hands as they left, but I always concentrated on their pain and suffering and marveled at their bravery facing such a monumental unknown. I'm rambling, but to this day I can't listen to much of the Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, and in particular the Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Brandon's Death Song" without relapsing.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cordelia

Wow.

Thank you for sharing. I can’t imagine your pain.

Music does move us. Emotionally and physically. Good to be aware which direction which music moves us.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm jealous of you. I can NOT listen to music at all. Its my biggest trigger.