Notices

Reading and remembering

Old 11-08-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading and remembering

I’ve been sober almost 3 years. Lately the drink has looked better and tastier and more fun than ever. Then I come on here. I read and I remember. Oh my God it’s not fun. Oh yeah! Right!? Actually drinking sucks. It kills the quality of my life, hurts my sleep,my health, my pride, my relationships ect. Anything that I’m trying to escape will just return with shittier results. I read these posts about the ones struggling on their first days weeks months. Those were hard times with much pain ....and to all of you it only gets better. Life still has its many challenges, problems, joys and sadness but things are much clearer at least. We learn to cope and adapt in healthier ways. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for for sharing this reminder Rose.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder to always look back at what it was like then! Great job on almost three years- I am almost 2 yr 9 mo myself. Such a better life than I had before.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep reading here helped me get past those 'I feel good again so I have no problem' kinda thoughts

D
Old 11-08-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OH my goodness heck yes! I know that my brain is affected by the onslaught of 'isn't booze awesome' in daily life. Even when I am firmly in the abstinence park....it sort of eats at me. This is just me for sure, but I know I'm affected by it.

Can't hide. But I can come here and go to AA to be reminded of exactly where I will be, and have been, if I were to drink again.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post!

I was 18 months sober and completely turned my life around, I’m now a few days sober after continual relapsing for 18 months and ending up exactly where I started, destroyed almost everything.

the main reason I took that first drink 18 months ago? Is because I stopped reminding myself where I had been, I stopped attending AA, stopped reading and posting on here (I used to write with a different name)

i stopped those things that took a few hours every few days and got complacent. Then replaced them eventually with drinking which takes many more hours and money and helps neither me nor anyone else.

sober yay
Old 11-09-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks rose,

You give a great picture to those of us yet to reach your milestone. Life’s not perfect, but oh so much better. Never forget where we came from.

Congrats on 3 years!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very true, Rose! I'm closing in on 4 years - hard to believe! And I read posts from those struggling and from the many people offering support and encouragment. Both help me keep moving along.
Thanks for posting that :-)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

and very good thoughts they are too Rose. I am coming up to 3y- and I still relive the last days of my drinking- the pain, the fear and the complete loneliness.

I hate absolutes- which cursed much of my thoughts- good/bad, success/failure - as life is often in the grey zone.

BUT- drinking. 2 choices
- I can drink and next time, stay dead

- I can continue my sober journey, with all the pain and grief and sadness of the past, and live to keep fighting the good fight.

Never again.