Notices

Day one and first craving ridden out..!

Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one and first craving ridden out..!

Today is my day one (one of hundreds sadly). I’ve just ridden out my first craving. It lasted about 20 minutes and the only thing that stopped me going out to buy alcohol was the fact that everyone in my household was out without their keys so I had to stay in. I had something to eat and now I’m glad I didn’t do it. I feel positive and appreciative of the benefits/necessity of sobriety. The messed up thing for me though is that during the craving I felt the total opposite.. sobriety meant nothing, alcohol meant everything. It’s feeling like two different people with two conflicting agendas which really messes with my head!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great start.

Welcome back

What’s different in your plan this time?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Great start.

Welcome back

What’s different in your plan this time?
thank you. This time I’m finally going to get myself to an AA meeting.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, agreed with free2beme - you also need a plan for when going out to buy alcohol is accessible to you as well.

Posting here when you have a craving could help. If you don’t have anyone to call, I also recommend some sobriety podcasts (or any podcast tbh?); they help me keep my mind on the prize and it’s about 30-60 min where you can just listen to something and take your thoughts away from wanting to drink. Congrats on making it through day one! It only gets better. Keep checking in!

also! I’ll be checking this pretty much all day at work so if you need to chat hit me up!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Yes, agreed with free2beme - you also need a plan for when going out to buy alcohol is accessible to you as well.

Posting here when you have a craving could help. If you don’t have anyone to call, I also recommend some sobriety podcasts (or any podcast tbh?); they help me keep my mind on the prize and it’s about 30-60 min where you can just listen to something and take your thoughts away from wanting to drink. Congrats on making it through day one! It only gets better. Keep checking in!

also! I’ll be checking this pretty much all day at work so if you need to chat hit me up!
I think I need to find a way to deal with these cravings as they come.. and I know they’re coming! I’ve got through this first one but I agree more solid strategies are required.

Podcasts are a good idea. There is one I like - it’s not sobriety-related but it’s a good idea for keeping your mind distracted. Are there any sobriety ones you’ve found which are good?

Okay, thank you! I’ll be popping in and out all day trying to get the through the day!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great job! Remember "HALT" don't let yourself get hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.
Also sometimes you may think you have a craving but you are really just hungry or thirsty. Exercise helped me a lot and flavored teas.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It feels so good to get over those hurdles. Nicely done, Polished. We know the strength it takes.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polished View Post

Podcasts are a good idea. There is one I like - it’s not sobriety-related but it’s a good idea for keeping your mind distracted. Are there any sobriety ones you’ve found which are good?
I’ve been diggin “Recovery Elevator” and “Recovery Happy Hour” so far. Both share stories and interviews and it helps to know there are so many people out there who have succeeded and continue to succeed.

I have a ton of non sobriety recs too if you want. All I do is listen to podcasts at work cuz I do billing and it’s boring af.

Edit: I realize af might seem like I’m saying it’s boring “alcohol free” but I really mean it’s boring as ****. Luckily I never got to the point where I was drinking at work. I think with the nature of my job I would have been fired a while ago because I would have accidentally spent all of the firm’s money with a misplaced comma. :P