Notices

Just like that, the holiday season is upon us.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just like that, the holiday season is upon us.

Man the decorations are already up at the pharmacy, chill in the air, catalogs coming in the mail - the modern holiday season does not respect the calendar! As we all know, it's not the easiest time for those of us who don't drink. I know for me it's a melancholy time for many reasons - some have nothing to do with alcohol, family things, life etc. But the prevalence of booze this time of year and, for me, my years of drinking through the holidays, make these next few months tough.

Acknowledging this difficulty does not, in any way, mean I don't value my sobriety and hold it above all and remain grateful moment by moment for it. Acknowledging this only means the holiday season is full with nostalgia, memories, alcohol, family and friends - all things that for many of us, very much for me, trigger my AV to lie in its wistful, deceiving ways. I'm aware of this, steeled for it and will get through sober. But it's not always easy, not always fun.

Chop wood, carry water. Proud to be here with you all.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

Just because I got sober, doesn't mean mean that alcohol went anywhere. It is still in the grocery store, my friends ' hands, at work, etc. It does seem to more prevalent though around holiday activities. I actually appreciate the in-my-face presence though because it keeps me more keenly aware of my gratitude level, which ties in very well with reflecting upon the holidays and their true meanings.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed. I致e always used the holidays and the stress they bring as an excuse to drink but I always just did stuff that was so dumb and acted like an idiot in front of the family that stressed me out so bad, causing more stress.

I know it痴 gonna be hard, but I am kind of looking forward to not having to drink to get through those situations? I think my holiday will be infinitely more relaxing.

Thanks for the good post, lessgravity.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, and I got this crazy idea that I'm going to start a diet and try to lose 15 pounds starting December 1st. We'll see how that goes.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will be spending a good part of the holidays alone, and that will be difficult for me. My job has the whole week of Thanksgiving off and another around the other holidays. I will have the attention of two new kittens to help me get through, but I know I must find some activities to replace the routine of the office. I never like the holidays much anyway, so it will not bring back a lot of memories to fight off, but I must try to avoid being isolated.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
I will be spending a good part of the holidays alone, and that will be difficult for me. My job has the whole week of Thanksgiving off and another around the other holidays. I will have the attention of two new kittens to help me get through, but I know I must find some activities to replace the routine of the office. I never like the holidays much anyway, so it will not bring back a lot of memories to fight off, but I must try to avoid being isolated.
I知 sorry that you値l be alone, but have you considered some volunteer work? I知 sure a lot of places could use it this time of year. It might be nice to surround yourself with people who are all working to help others.

Kittens sound fun though! I知 sure they値l keep you busy too.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

two new kittens to help me get through
My critters are a big part of my staying sober. I take such good care of them when I'm sober. Kittens are a good distraction from the worries of everyday life.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. Also, I work in an industry where we caution our clients for liability reasons to be careful about serving alcohol to employees at parties. Yet the organization I work for is one of the biggest offenders. Such hypocrisy. Throughout the year, we have wine tastings mid-week and mid-day with employees driving home. Some with long commutes. The holidays are worse.

This will be my second year sober during the holidays. People know me now as a non-drinker. And to be honest, I知 happier not drinking in social situations. At the end of my drinking days, my biggest problem was drinking alone to self-medicate through family and marital stress. The holidays are also a sad time for me because of memories of past family stressors and deaths from my family of origin.

Last year I got through it ok. Things were good in life. I致e got a lot of stress now with a troubled son so I知 feeling triggered here and there. I知 working through it with therapy.

Thank you for the post
Old 11-06-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love the ideas others have posted about volunteering and taking care of critters. I wish my cats liked going for walks like dogs do . We tried the harness thing and it wasn稚 good. The cuddles help though .
Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this Lessgravity. I don't think it is too soon to have a game plan for the holidays. Ideally I'd like to train for some midwinter run/bike but my knee is not really up for running anymore . . . still . . . I'm thinking it would give a different focus which would be helpful.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never too early to start thinking ahead:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

D