Notices

Struggling with options

Old 11-05-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with options

The reason I've come on here is because I went 31 days teetotal and tonight have taken cocaine and drank again I am losing my two kids who are my world because of this I have tried a local group called Aquarius but find it degrading and no use. Any advice where to turn would be appreciated
Old 11-05-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dan and welcome

I'm not sure where in the world you are, but it all depends on how far you want to to go to beat this - some folks use a meeting based approach like AA or NA, or other non 12 step meeting approaches like SMART or LifeRing - some folks p[refer a no meetings approach and use things like Rational Recovery or sites like Sober Recovery for support.

Others see their Dr or a counsellor.
Some go to rehab either inpatient or outpatient.

I don't know anything about Aquarius or why you found it demeaning but sounds like the stakes are pretty high for you right now?

Google a few of the names I mentioned - find a way that suits you and work the heck out of it

D.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you posted.

As Dee said, there are various programs to help you as you stop drinking and begin to recover. If you look around here, you will see that we all try to find something that works for us.

You can do this, and we're here to offer support.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you will find a program of recovery that will help you stay sober for good.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I am sorry what you are going through. I agree with Dee’s suggestions. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what’s going to work for you. While you are searching, I would encourage you to keep coming here for ideas and support. Knowing you are not alone and there are others here struggling just like you and many success stories for people who started out like you is so helpful.

For me, I could have short sober stints from just remembering my last bad drunk. But it was not until I had invidual weekly therapy that I was able to stay sober for long term. I had to understand the behaviors and thoughts that were keeping me stuck in the cycle and had to completely change my mentality. It did take a change of therapist too. The first one tried to teach me moderation which I knew wouldn’t work for me. She had no experience with alcoholism or recovery. I ended up with a therapist who also happened to be more than 20years sober.

You can do this!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm kinda confused on what "options" you're struggling with? You've lost your two kid's. What other "options" are there except total abstinence with the 'lifestyle' that brings and whatever it takes to get there?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think if I was loosing my children ...please don't take this the wrong way ...) I would take Whatever HELP was out there and I mean anything ...Im not judging you and I know how very hard this is for you ... but your children should have must have first priority ...I really really feel for you and I pray to God you get some sort of help for you
x cara
Old 11-07-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caralara144 View Post
I think if I was loosing my children ...please don't take this the wrong way ...) I would take Whatever HELP was out there and I mean anything ...Im not judging you and I know how very hard this is for you ... but your children should have must have first priority ...I really really feel for you and I pray to God you get some sort of help for you
x cara
You are not alcoholic then?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

A lesson I had to learn recently Gerard x
Old 11-07-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Caralara, I can see how your comment would be true in theory, if addiction were rational and things that "should" be more important simply were. But as we know, things are not always as they should be, especially while in the throes of active addiction. I know I made many choices that did not prioritize my kids, but the best I can do is focus on now and do my best to stay sober, so I do not make the same mistakes again. That is all we can do.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going Dan?

D