Notices

First time posting, need a little insight.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time posting, need a little insight.

Hi all, long time lurker here sharing for the first time.

I've been reading this forum from time to time and are always amazed by the willingness of folks here to help each other. I fear I might need some help too.

Let me introduce myself, I'm 36 white male from NW Europe I have a fantastic family and my own business. I have been drinking for all my life. First beer at 12 or so but didn't take to it. Started drinking beer every now and then since 15 and increasingly more as I got older. I quit smoking about 8 years ago and basically replaced cigarettes with a drink in my hand.

I drink now every day, and I think I'm pretty good at. I function fine and don't open any drink till after all work is done. Then I binge till I can't walk almost, I'm not a mean drunk or an annoying one (at least nobody ever told me). And I can afford it, worst is the hangovers that last until 15:00. However I know that the amounts I drink are not sustainable for a person, and I do this every day.

I've tried to quit a few times but never last more than a few days. I come here to read everyone's stories and feel strengthened but the next day a friend will offer me a beer and I'll say yes, even if I know that 1 will turn into 16.

The reason I'm writing this now is that I'm worried I may have messed up.

Since about a month I've been feeling this weird feeling just below my right rib cage down to my hip. It started only while doing the no-pants-dance but later it happened all the time. I figured I sprained a muscle and started to exercise and diet (including no alcohol) for about a week and it went away. Then I started drinking again and it came back. I'ts a pressure like something is poking me in the side.

I'm worried I may have messed up my liver. Has anyone else ever had this? From what I Google there isn't much I can do about it except quit drinking. I've done that I'm on day 3 (yay!) Everything else seems fine no yellow eyes for any other symptoms but I'm worried.

As I type this I'm looking at an empty trampjuice 14% 16ounce/0.5ltrs that I used to down 3 off every night. It just looks like a can of poison to me now

Thank you for reading this to the end!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad to hear you're on Day 3! We can't give any kind of medical advice. It's probably a good idea to talk to your doctor about your physical issue. And, I agree that the best thing you can do is to stop drinking.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Anna.

But not going to see my doc for this one, going to ride it out for a while.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

Welcome!

Glad u are here.

Liver damage can happen without any symptoms at all. I agree with Anna, if you need any answer about your liver, go get some liver enzymes done for an alter sound or a biopsy buy your doctor and get a definitive answer.

I do have a question though.… If you’re test come back without any liver damage so far, will you quit drinking? Or will you use that as an excuse to keep drinking?

I’m pretty sure my bottle of wine or more every day for the past 3 1/2 years and at least three bottles of wine a week for the last 20 years has done some damage to my brain, my spirit, and my body.

I too would get paint underneath my rib cage when I drink and especially the next day. I was never brave enough to go get it checked out, partly because I’m a healthcare worker and even though they have privacy hear it’s not really private information. I don’t want everyone to know that I work with that I have a problem with alcohol .

So for me, my answer to myself was weather I have a liver damage or not I think that chapter of my life that including drinking is now over.

I am so glad to see you here 😍
Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Themechanic View Post
But not going to see my doc for this one, going to ride it out for a while.
Seeing a doctor is a scary proposition, I know I was afraid of doing so when I quit too. I also deal with health anxiety, which was made worse by my drinking.

But it's a lot better than relying on Dr. Google for medical advice - I can tell you that. Your pain could very well be related to your drinking, or it could be completely unrelated. Quitting is a good decision though and I it will undoubtedly help you moving forward.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies and yes I know I should go to a doctor but like I said I'm going to ride it out for a while first.

@Free I feel like this scare is what I need to quit. It's not just that

- it's the overweight from drinking
-upset stomach (diarrhea and gas) all the time
-the hangovers
-my kid growing up and seeing me with a beer all the time
-making sure there is enough to last every night
-feeling like I could be a better guy to my girl
-knowing that I could be living a better life in general, more clear, more sharp and that if I do **** up it's not because I wasn't clearheaded enough.

No I'm ******* done with it, I over did it and now the party is over!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A doctor visit would be a good move.. from my experience, that is liver pain. Almost like a 'cramping' feeling and i could feel it protruding from my inside. That's the feeling that led me to this site at least. The liver will recover if one stops drinking in time. After my last quit it took me around a month to feel 100%,but I remember that annoying 'feeling'/pain well.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes that is exactly it, thank you dude. Before this thing I didn't even really know where my liver was. It's right where the feeling is.

Thanks again, done with the booze now!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there, TheMechanic, and good of you to come to the surface after lurking in the forums.

One thing about sobriety I am learning is that the approach of "riding it out" is a tough way to go. Whether or not you see a doctor is up to you, and as long as you quit drinking, you may not get worse off physically. But for the other aspects of recovery, you need to be active in your approach to achieving sobriety versus just seeing how it goes. How will you deal with those situations where a friend offers you that beer as they have always done? How will you respond to any cravings you may face? What happens when things get tough, and you find yourself thinking about what "relief" having a drink will bring? Your thinking needs as much care as your body in stopping the alcohol.

You have reached a good decision, but the execution is what counts now.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I quit a two pack a day habit the Allan Carrs easy way so I know a little about quitting and what makes/breaks a habit.

I know I'm an alcoholic I don't lie to myself but I'm also not too far gone.

I'm angry at myself and embarrassed and scared there is only one way out. This is a fight that I knew was coming and I can win.

I know many folks here follow a 12step program but I don't see myself doing that, I don't believe in god and I don't believe alcohol is a disease, so that won't work for me.

I'll be posting here. And thank you all for the replies, let's me know that I'm not alone in this and that makes a difference.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

this site is a great resource! I quit smoking a couple months or so ago and that was HARD as hell the first 4 days!! The habit of "business phone call=cig, turn on this road=cig,ate something=cig,ect..= cig".. It very much brought me back to breaking the 'circular thinking' of my outta control drinking habit. I can't say I'll never have another smoke or drink,but if I do it'll be from my own doing. No circumstance,person/place/thing..simply because I did and it won't be TODAY. Keep it simple/managable.

Stick around and post BEFORE you drink.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi the mechanic.

Many of us don’t do AA on here, there are some forums with that as a theme and some secular ones.

I think you’ll find just the right fit😊
Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi

I’m new too. I’m now 2 months sober and my story is almost a mirror of yours.
I too had the swollen lump under my right rib. It frightened the hell out of me. I still haven’t been to a doctor about it. It panicked me so much that I made the skin sore because I spent all day feeling it.
It’s now gone away and all of the “digestive problems” have gone too.
I will see a doctor but I’m not ready yet.

All the best
Tom
Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Tom

Check out the class of November 2018 too!

This is a great place to be
Old 11-05-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

getting connected with others is a great first step, and for some that's all they need.
others found that they need to make other changes.
I am not clear on what you are looking for; your title mentions you are looking for some insight, and you mention you might need help....yet it seems you have not found any of the suggestions of use to you?
how can we help?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I quit a two pack a day habit the Allan Carrs easy way so I know a little about quitting and what makes/breaks a habit.

I'm angry at myself and embarrassed and scared there is only one way out. This is a fight that I knew was coming and I can win.

I know many folks here follow a 12step program but I don't see myself doing that, I don't believe in god and I don't believe alcohol is a disease, so that won't work for me.

I'll be posting here. And thank you all for the replies, let's me know that I'm not alone in this and that makes a difference.
I don’t believe in a 12 step program either, my beliefs about God are complicated, and I also didn’t believe alcoholism was a disease when my uncle died of it, until I saw the clear as day signs of it in myself. I just wanted to blame him for all kinds of things, and also wanted to deny it in myself at the same time, and tell myself and everyone around me how easy it supposedly was to not pick up a drink. To try and sound “better” than him, when deep down i knew i had the exact same problem, maybe? I have no idea. But the things he did, the things I’ve done...some of which very recently I’m still struggling with...it’s now hard for me to see it as anything but another type of illness.

All of that aside...so awesome of you for taking up the fight, and best of luck to you!!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomtom1978 View Post
Hi

I’m new too. I’m now 2 months sober and my story is almost a mirror of yours.
Thank you for posting your experience Tom I'm only on day 4 now but the pain is already less than a few days ago. Also it's nice to know that I'm not the only one to have this issue. I Suppose are bodies warned us just in time (I hope).
Old 11-06-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
getting connected with others is a great first step, and for some that's all they need.
others found that they need to make other changes.
I am not clear on what you are looking for; your title mentions you are looking for some insight, and you mention you might need help....yet it seems you have not found any of the suggestions of use to you?
how can we help?
I wanted to ask on this forum if other people had the same complaints as me and what the outlook might be. I had a few answers and feel a bit relieved.

Also I thought about posting on this forum many times before as a way to make quitting the drink kind off official and not just for a while.

I'm done drinking, I'm on day 4 and never felt better!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

forget God. Maybe 12 steps not for you. However proper thought, heart intent, words and action in line with those previously stated, become more than just a positive act and choice. Making small positive choice's whether it is not drinking, or kissing your girl instead of a sip of beer. Or going for a walk instead, these little things are all appealing to our higher self... higher self="god" ... zen, since the act is mindfully done
. Maybe just try and take the zen approach, one thing I've noticed in my recovery (over a week now) is that the addiction definitely keeps me in the present moment. So since we are stuck in it go with mindullness in your approach.
congrats dude