Notices

1 week sober, put down the brown

Old 11-04-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week sober, put down the brown

I'm a week sober today and while I know I am not 100% I am Def a lot better than those first few days. Very glad I went cold turkey yet I am so lucky to have the support of sober friends and coworkers.

if anyone is starting off or wants to please do it. And be sure to delete all those bad contacts out of your life. Keep the good ones and stay active. I'm not back to surfing everyday but I am working no problem and still surfing

part of why I am writing this is for self accountability. This isn't my first attempt at sobriety but it sure feels different... well how so surfer boy?
1. Deleted all contact's and connections with those using. Even had to end a friendship and delete their number
2. I'm talking about it, talking with sober folks here online, those I know at work and sober friends.
3. Setting goals and working towards who I want to be, what I want to be. Surfing, sober that is. And started practicing Thai chi again
4. Going to meeting; tomorrow will be my first one and I plan on making it a weekly occurrence
peace be with you
Old 11-04-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you are doing well.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It can be a bumpy ride for a while at first, but it gets better.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. It can be a bumpy ride for a while at first, but it gets better.
thank you and thank you anna. Yeah it does feel like a community or family for real. As soon as I started reaching out to those in recovery I got real honest feedback and connection. That is a real big difference is I really know I am not alone aND i don't feel like I am alone. This forum is rad. Rrally glad I signed up.

what are some short term goals you think are good, excersice wise?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to newcomers forum as well surfknotsea

my initial short term goal was not to get drunk or high...once I got that down I started thinking about what I wanted my clean and sober life to look like

D
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newcomers, Surf, always glad to have another voice around to share. You seemed to have jumped right into the deep end of the pool with doing things to exclaim your sobriety path. To extend the analogy, there are some good swimmers here and lifeguards to help us out.

I didn't have to delete my contacts, as I pretty much burned those along the way, but starting anew with social peers who don't need to use is a very good thing to do to replace old habits. My current social circle is work, but I need to expand upon it. Because you have a passion in surfing, you can put renewed energy and confidence into that pursuit, but you'll probably run into old associates.

Maybe you're a Manifesto kind of person that can put into a statement what you are doing and five actionable behaviors (that's enough for now, I'd think, but jot down all those thoughts) things that you do to support that regularly. You've already identified three of those things: 1) Sober surfing for connection to a passion; 2) Thai-Chi for physical and mental discipline; and 3) Meetings to engage in the recovery world. It's part of developing your plan, and that can be added to with many things.

Take excellent care of yourself.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

What was your DOC?

At one week I was still in medical detox, sounds like you are ahead of where I was.

Truly admit that your life wasn't working when you drank/smoked/injected/sniffed/swallowed, and that one sip/toke/line/bump/rail/shot will sooner or later take you back there. That the only way to cut that trip off is to never ever ever take that first step.

You are a non drinker/smoker/user. Period

I didn't dwell too much on the bad sht I did while drinking/swallowing/snorting/smoking. I closely observed the world around me and how much more beautiful and authentic the world is when you are clear and unaltered. Every moment is joyful, immediate and present.

With that in mind, go surfing (not with user buddies if they were a part of your addiction). Feel the water on your wetsuit, the smell of the ocean, the color of the water, the Majesty of popping up and your skill at carving through the waves

Imagine how much better your surfing will be if not fuzzed by buzz.

Repeat this often and apply this feeling to all areas of your life.

Then lead the surfing world by your example, mastery of your sport and renewed lust for life