Notices

Weekend alone

Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend alone

The Mister is away until Sunday night and I'm home alone. There is vodka in the fridge.

I really feel okay. I feel no urge to drink. I do feel like ordering a pizza tonight, though.

Tomorrow night I will take my elderly parents out to dinner, and Dad will no doubt have his usual -- one Maker's on the rocks with ginger ale. I will have water or Diet Coke.

9 pm tonight will be 6 days alcohol free for me.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Planning ahead and being prepared is the way to go. I hope you have a good weekend.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're a bigger person than me having vodka on hand and being on day six.
I know myself too well, and there's no way that vodka would survive the weekend.
But, best to you and order that pizza. You deserve it.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about an insurance policy as part of your plan? Dump the vodka out. Get rid of it. The Mister will understand. It can easily be replaced when he returns.
Then get the pizza.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just reading “home alone m. Vodka in the fridge” Made me feel tempted, haha, you are stronger than me. I am 45 days sober. I dumped all the booze in the beginning. I still don’t feel comfortable with it in the house. Maybe one day, but I don’t want to make anything easier for myself in a moment of weakness, shall one arise.
Nice job on the sober time!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
How about an insurance policy as part of your plan? Dump the vodka out. Get rid of it. The Mister will understand. It can easily be replaced when he returns.
Then get the pizza.
I truly don't feel the need to do this. But if I feel tempted, I will dump it. But I don't feel tempted in the least.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was a novel idea to me that I didn't have to wait til I was tempted by anything to do something proactive about it. Meaning, it wasn't part of my program to NOT have something around that I shouldn't. Vodka, ice cream (an issue for me in sobriety, for sure), too much coffee....

Making changes to all my habits took time but the biggies like my immediate surroundings had to be the clear ones like no alcohol. I didn't drink, so why would I have it at home? And if a spouse did but wasn't there, same.

Not to belabor that point.....pizza and time with your parents sound good! I certainly had to rebuild my relationship with my parents and also learn new ways of interacting, but they were there for me and often the only folks I spent time with early on.

As far as what else you do with yourself, what's the weekend plan?
Old 11-03-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The weekend plan includes laundry, grocery shopping (both for us and for my elderly parents), dinner with mom & dad, attending church tomorrow morning, making a big pot of low-carb chili, taking stuff to the recycling center, and daily 30-minute sessions on the treadmill.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats, Minerva.

As for me, I definitely can't have vodka around the house. Beer and other liquors don't call to me as much. But vodka was my thing. In fact, I've never kept vodka around the house. I'd buy it virtually every day. But it didn't stay around the house. The bottle would be empty before the end of the day.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm eating low carb chili as I read this
Excellent idea
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another part of the weekend plan: no wine at communion tomorrow morning. I don't think of it as "drinking" but I have decided to use the goblet of grape juice for intinction rather than the wine goblet. This goes against my 50+ years of taking communion (cradle Catholic, now Lutheran) but I feel that it's the right choice.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hardinge View Post
Congrats, Minerva.

As for me, I definitely can't have vodka around the house. Beer and other liquors don't call to me as much. But vodka was my thing. In fact, I've never kept vodka around the house. I'd buy it virtually every day. But it didn't stay around the house. The bottle would be empty before the end of the day.
Yeah, I've put away quite a bit of vodka over the past couple of years - mostly vanilla vodka in diet coke, which was dangerous because it didn't taste like booze. But I don't want it. Really.

Heading off now to do the grocery shopping for my elderly parents and taking them out to dinner.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Min,

I used to think I was missing out by not drinking. Turns out that was my addiction tricking me. It still tries.

I now realize I miss out on a full life if I drink. Being drunk is not the real me. It is a drug altered version of me. I want to be real.

The real me is a pretty cool person. I only got to meet myself about 1 year ago as my healing progressed to the point of returning to self actualization.

Aa says give it time, the miracle will come. The time is what it takes for the brain to normalize. That is well over a year. That is why so many folks never make it out.

They can't stay sober and endure the normalizing, real life, long enough to break free.

I still think about drinking every day. I don't think it will ever go away. That is life.

I call it growing up.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's Sunday evening, my husband is on his way home, and I have not touched that vodka in the fridge or even wanted to. Nor gone out and gotten wine or anything else. I even had grape juice at communion this morning.

I don't mean to sound braggy, I'm just relieved and happy. I also know this is likely a honeymoon phase and the hard work is coming. I started the 30 Days to Sobriety program today.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome Minerva!! That’s really amazing. I am so glad you managed to do it even with alcohol available. I think even if this is a honeymoon phase you should remember this weekend as proof that you can stay sober, and remember how good that felt when you feel like you want to relapse. Do you need the vodka there though? Is it your husband’s? Idk if I missed it but I would err on the side of caution and maybe get rid of it while you can.

Brag all you want though, I think it’s worth celebrating. But you’re right in needing to stay vigilant as that garbage AV sneaks up on you when you least expect it. So happy for you though!! Take this positive energy into this coming week and use it to keep moving forward.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Minerva

D