Advice - Human Service Job

Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice - Human Service Job

Hi All,

I need advice from others who understand what it is like to be a family member of an addict. I recently finished my masters degree and have been offered a job in Human Resources working with ex offenders in recovery. I don't have to take this direction for my degree.

I don't know what is going to be best for me. On one hand, I feel I would be very good at the job because I have experience with addiction and incarceration, but on the other hand, I feel I will be subjecting myself to unnecessary stress.

If I take the job, I could make a difference in someone's life. But, I could also become too involved.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting your masters!!! Very nice.

Trust your instincts, somethings already is telling you that subjecting yourself to this environment will be stressful with lots of potential for over involvement.

I think it’s natural to want to make a difference in someone else’s life where addiction has played a major part. But with your experience I think the difference can be on the side of the loved ones and not so much the addict. That’s the experience you have with addiction, being the loved one and all the ways that someone else’s addiction has affected your life.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you & I appreciate your advice!