Notices

When You Get a New P-Doc

Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When You Get a New P-Doc

So, soon I'm going to need to get a new psychiatrist because my insurance has changed, and my last one is out of network. I am putting this off because it costs me $50 per visit, and my finances right now are very tight, and I have scripts to last me a few months longer. I am going to have to do this anyway, so maybe I need to just bite the bullet and get it done to relieve some of the anxiety it is causing me.

I wish that I didn't have to start over with telling my story/history from scratch in a limited amount of time they give you to see a p-doc. during an appointment. Too, I am mildly concerned that even though I'm doing fairly well, pretty well in fact, that a new doctor may have the urge to tinker with my medication. I have to build that relationship again to return to confidence, I guess. My GP that is still in network doesn't prescribe for depression and anxiety, it's the practice's policy, since they have p-docs on their staff.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you talked to your insurance and your pdoc's billing office about this? I've found many times they actually do take the insurance, even though they aren't listed in the list provided by the insurer. Just something I've found several times with insurance and in-network issues.

If you already did that, then I will send you good thoughts for finding the absolute best replacement person you can. Maybe a referral from the first one. (?) More than likely a new doctor can just review your file and you don't have to go back over stuff you've already covered. If you agree with your current treatment plan, I would think you could just pick up where you are; treatment follows a logical path. You'll get through it.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Biminiblue, while my existing p-doc did move out of network, the network I'm in where I see my GP does have coverage for psychiatry services. So, while I'll not be able to keep my same provider, at least all my medical records will be in the same place, and I've been happy with the medical services they have provided to me. I did what you suggested and called to get more complete information.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
So, soon I'm going to need to get a new psychiatrist because my insurance has changed, and my last one is out of network. I am putting this off because it costs me $50 per visit, and my finances right now are very tight, and I have scripts to last me a few months longer. I am going to have to do this anyway, so maybe I need to just bite the bullet and get it done to relieve some of the anxiety it is causing me.

I wish that I didn't have to start over with telling my story/history from scratch in a limited amount of time they give you to see a p-doc. during an appointment. Too, I am mildly concerned that even though I'm doing fairly well, pretty well in fact, that a new doctor may have the urge to tinker with my medication. I have to build that relationship again to return to confidence, I guess. My GP that is still in network doesn't prescribe for depression and anxiety, it's the practice's policy, since they have p-docs on their staff.
Call you doc and have records sent to new doc. Better yet, pick them up yourself and hand deliver.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine is hanging up his cleats, deservedly so, after close to 50 years of practice.

So I have to start over after 20 years of continuity with him.

But I'm confident that everything will work out fine.

Good luck with your transition.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

New Dr

If they can refer you to someone they know, partner with, and or have referrals I think your info will be attainable (HIPPA USA).
Old 12-18-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I plan to see my new doctor next month.

I'll post a summary of that experience on this thread after a session with him or her.

The firm hired a younger man and a younger woman to replace my doc, and I don't know which one to whom I have been assigned.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My psychiatric care is through a clinic at a teaching hospital. So every year I get a new resident, who confers with the attending at every meeting. I've been doing this off and on since 2003 or so. It works.

The one I have now I really love. Will miss him when I get the newbie in July.

I've learned to do a lot of research and self-advocacy, so my medication monitors feel more like partners.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are sharing & I know what your concerns feel like from my past dr changes. I love the one I have now, especially since she stuck with her expert style before I got sober - which I am grateful for & follow in recovery. As far as meds, mine are very critical to my sobriety and emotional balance, so honest communication and a dr I trust is essential.

Starting over can seem like a tiring prospect- but I hope you flip that to a new chance with a good dr you fit with well.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have become such good friends with my Dr. socially that it may be better to have someone who only knows me on a professional level.

I'm going to mention to the new psychiatrist that I may have some old family of origin issues which can kind of nag at me sometimes.

I have met people who do workshops on this type of thing, and I may want to pursue it next year.