Notices

Struggling with Sleep

Old 10-30-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with Sleep

I have been having sleep issues for months now, characterized by waking multiple times during the night and most recently with drunk dreams, strange dreams, and a few nightmares. It can take a toll on my alertness during the day, even to the point of being groggy enough at work to close my eyes. When I'm awake in the middle of the night I'm not under duress; on the contrary, I kind of enjoy the quiet time to do a few things.

While I could take some Trazadone for this, I have resisted that option, perhaps irrationally. I'd just like to see if this is a phase that will work itself out. Maybe I'll pop into the chat room for the first time since I joined just to see who is awake (or from overseas) that is available to relax with for a time.

I just wanted to post to others who may be going through sleep disturbances that I get how it can affect you. If you see Guener in the chat room, say "hi". Let's all get some rest as best as we can.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I struggle often with sleeplessness as a result of anxiety. Several things help me: Lavender oil under my nose and in a diffuser, no caffeine after 4:00 PM, no sugar if possible, and as much activity as I can fit in, such as walking.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't sleep much. Its a result of anxiety, mainly, I think. I do take melatonin and that helps some. Last week I was awake for 4 days straight. Last night I slept for about 2 hours. I find it does seem to be getting slightly better the longer I get clean and sober, but its still an issue, obviously. I normally don't remember dreams but I had my first drunk dream a few days ago and I woke up in a cold sweat and scared, bad, that it was somehow real. Exercise helps. Talking with others helps me to stay calmer and less anxious. I'd like to get back to where I'm sleeping again and I think it will continue to improve, especially after I know the outcomes of my legal and other issues in time. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took Ambien for years while still drinking. It was a bad move. I never did anything harmful or dangerous but sleeping pills are very dangerous. I now take Melatonin and Benadryl sometimes. I try to take it about 1 hour before I want to sleep.... I am on day 6 of sobriety.....I know that it will take a few months before my sleep habits even out.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's a sleep remedy I saw on the net. Give it a try.

https://www.auntyacid.com/boil-banan...yes-im-amazed/