Notices

Day 2; the time has come

Old 10-29-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2; the time has come

I have all the excuses of why my drinking wasn't a big problem: no DUIs, no embarrassing public displays, no work problems, typically have only two drinks when out to dinner, yadda, yadda. Then there is the other side -- the ugly truth. Hiding bottles so my husband won't find them and know how much I'm drinking; adding water to the vodka bottle to make it look fuller, buying pints instead of fifths so there is less vodka in the house.

My last drinks, two glasses of wine with dinner, were Saturday night at 8 pm. It needs to be over now.

The last 24 hours, I've been playing head games with "rules" such as I won't drink at home, won't drink when out to lunch, won't have more than 2 drinks when out to dinner.... I'm sure many of us have been through that. And we know they are games.

From the reading I've done the past couple of days, AVRT speaks to me. Probably because CBT was helpful to me in other areas.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Minerva! You've made a wise choice to take action now.

I drank many years - I had all sorts of 'rules' - and never obeyed any of them. As a result, I ended up completely dependent on my daily alcohol consumption. Very bad things happened. It's no way to live. Congratulations on Day 2.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What Hevyn wrote. Stop now.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Minerva and I'm glad that you're ready to stop drinking.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome You should join us in the 24 hour thread - https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-415-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 415)
Old 10-29-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Minerva

I think all of us knows instinctively whats right and whats not - keep listening to the right voice...and keep posting here

D
Old 10-29-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was feeling pretty anxious this afternoon. It reminded me of the way I felt when I quit smoking years ago--I had very intense anxiety and depression for several weeks. Sadly, that was also when I started drinking more.

But I didn't drink today. My husband has a bottle of vodka in the fridge and I see it when I open the fridge door. And I know a shot of vodka would take the edge off the anxiety -- but at a high cost. Not.Going.There.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Minerva - well done. You're right, too high a price to pay to take the edge off. Hopefully, soon there won't be an 'edge'. Everything changes & gets better. You're giving yourself a wonderful gift.

I love your avie.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Hevyn about the edge, I remember having a very "wound up" feeling in very early sobriety that only alcohol could release (or so I thought). Luckily, I was able to turn to walks, books, baths, a heating pad, and TONS of chocolate instead! Good luck, we are here with you.