Notices

Starting again

Old 10-29-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again

Well i made it till last thursday 10 days, then drank again. I was staying at my parents as they cant go out since my dads stroke, so we got takeout and opened a bottle of wine. I thought it was kinder to have a drink with them as it made more of a night for then ??!! I dont know stupid really, anyway it was fine just had 2 drinks which led on to me rationalizing a drink on friday Saturday and sunday would be fine too. I didnt go overboard but still 3/4 - a bottle each time. I really want to stop, please any advice is welcome and needed. I want to stop for good but think if i set goal till end of year for now not quite so daunting as forever, then my new year resolution will be not drink next year. I feel so pathetic that i keep drinking.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey TB - good to hear from you

I dunno about you but I really had to pick a team.
I had to put myself and my well being above everything and everyone else - even my family my friends and my parents

I couldn't pick and choose my occasions to drink because my relationship with alcohol was toxic - I may not have lost control every time I drank, but every time I lost control, I was drinking.

Not drinking removes that outcome as an option.

If it makes it easier to think of it as a project til the end of the year, go for it - but there's no going back to drinking - not if you want real lasting change

D

Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tinker, I could have written that post myself. Have 1or 2 tonight and feel fine the next day so have a couple more and leads to full on binge. At my worst I was starting at 11am saying I’d have a few early ones and I’ll be in bed by 8 . What a joke! I’d be throwing up by 11.. if I’ve learned anything in the last while . I take everything in bite size pieces. Hour by hour and one task at a time. I can’t process “forever “so just do today. Keep busy and get organized. I’m back on day 2 now so we’re starting off together! Sending good wishes and hope you can get your. Plan together!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee yes your right i need to start putting me and my best interests first.
Charli thanks for your good wishes and same to you lets see if we can make some progress day by day
Old 10-29-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tinker - in the beginning I would often focus on just getting through the day sober/clean. I did my best to avoid projecting into "forever". It seems so simple that it couldn't really make a difference, but it did for me. It took a lot of the pressure off to break it down into a day at a time. After a while I got comfortable with the idea of not ever drinking/using again. It isn't a struggle to survive the day any more.

Life still has its ups and downs, but drinking/using don't pop up as solutions in my mind any more. They used to be the only solutions I could see.

Take care. Things get better.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was finally able to get sober for good when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tinker. You're anything but pathetic. You already see what needs to happen, & you're getting ready to take charge and do it. It'll feel so good to get free. We know you can.