Notices

Drunk Dreams

Old 10-27-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk Dreams

So, here's the thing going on with me the past number of nights. I have been having drunk dreams where I find myself in situations that indicate that either I have had alcohol based on the evidence or am in a situation where I would be drinking. I don't actually remember consuming any alcohol during the dreams, but I awaken feeling somewhat uncomfortable about it.

I haven't had any drunk dreams since I cannot recall (recently, months). These seem to have started, or at least I'm remembering them, since I came to SR and started thinking about alcohol more. So, it's possible that just having alcohol in my thoughts is a prompt for me to be having these dreams, but I'm pretty certain that I'm here because I want to be more secure in my recovery (six months in Nov). I'm not blaming SR participation for these episodes, but I'm fairly certain that it's contributing to it.

Nothing tangible has happened to me recently that should be giving me thoughts of escaping to alcohol, but I did have some cravings not long ago that I wrote about here. Perhaps I'm in a phase where I'm either feeling that alcohol would be "nice" or something else, I don't know. Coming here to explore my feelings and to share my experiences has been positive for me, I don't know that I'm being complacent, but perhaps I have been and am reaping some consequences. Just not thinking about alcohol doesn't mean that my alcoholic thinking is gone.

Anyway, I feel that I needed to share to you all what I have been going through on this aspect and to solicit any advice.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 6 months! That's a big milestone....maybe just approaching it has stirred some things up. I don't know. Drunk dreams are just dreams and they are very normal.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm ten months sober and 21 years off drugs (I grew up in the 80s and had some issues with cocaine). Now I'm a little different because I dream about four or five times a night and remember most of them. It's actually one of the things I like best about myself.

With that volume of dreaming, I have craploads of drinking and alcohol-related dreams. I dream I've blown it, I dream I rise above, I dream about letting myself and my family down, I dream about impossible situations where it looks like I'm going to be FORCED to drink, I dream about the old days before my life had become unmanageable, just everything you can imagine.

Some of those dreams are panic-inducing, oh-my-god-did-I-actually-DO-THAT, check the trash to make sure I didn't actually drink while I was sleeping. I think it's my subconscious way of keeping me aware of the danger, making sure I remember what that desolation and shame feel like.

I mentioned my drug problem because I still, to this day, have dreams where I relapse on drugs. It's been decades, and I'm pretty sure I'm never, ever going to go back to using, but my mind still every once in a while, bumps a using dream up to the top to make sure I don't get complacent there either.

I think your brain is processing all kinds of thoughts and feelings and probably is just manifesting some things you maybe weren't even aware were rattling around. I believe you're on the right track to stay aware and sensitive.

Congrats on your sober time! Quite an accomplishment!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had all of the same types of dreams as flawed-fantastic. It can really affect your mood waking up to these! I look at them as reminder why I no longer drink and use substances, a reflection on where I’ve been and where I am now, how far I’ve come working on myself. By the way, these dreams do tend to get less over time. I’m close to two years sober and can’t remember the last using dream I had.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful

I had a drinking dream about a week ago and I'm 5 and a half years sober. It's the first one I've had in probably a couple of years. They used to worry me a bit when I was in early sobriety but not so much now. I remember telling my Mom about my drinking dreams and she told me she still had smoking dreams 30 years after quitting. Now when I wake up from a drinking dream (which are very rare these days) I either get a chuckle out of them or a sense of relief that it was only a dream.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on your sober time and I'm glad you are here! I too have had them over the course of my 2yr 8 mo of sobriety. I still recall two stunningly vivid ones early on (in the first six months for sure)- I woke up to one absolutely certain I would go find the detritus of a usual night of drinking in my living room/kitchen space. Whew.

I've also had a few that were weird mixes of people, places and alcohol that only kind of made sense or could have even possibly happened (one, I was drinking Corona, which was rare, but sure, possible....and I had a sister, which I don't - we were also at the Masters but I digress ). I think any of my vivid dreams have at least some connection to some situation or stressor in my life(ahem, my MIL was in one last night, Le sigh) and am sure happy that elements of them related to drinking or not are not real!!

Keep doing the right stuff to stay sober and know that we can relate if you share about dreams!
Old 10-28-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

G-I have dreams about drinking, 2y8m sober now, Dreams so real- I feel guilty for dreaming it. Dreams where in it- I am thinking of ways to get, hide and drink booze. Very detailed dreams. I do not read too much into them- except that there IS a message in them, which is DO NOT DRINK!....
I think I am going to be plagued with drinking dreams for life- just because I drank so much and for so long.
Keep sharing and posting.