Notices

Brain fog? How long will this last?

Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain fog? How long will this last?

Has anyone else suffered from brain fog after a heavy night of drinking? It has been about 2 weeks now that I have been having this brain fog/ lightheaded feeling. It’s kind of hard to describe but in better words I feel kind of detached most of the time. I have been a binge drinker for about 2 years now. It all started after a heavy night of drinking. I have been sober since ever since that night. I’m am just really worried that I have permanently messed myself up after this and want to know how long did this feeling last or if it gets better. I had slight head/ eye pressure for 5-6 days after but that’s seems to be going away. I just don’t know what to do about this brain fog!? Will it go away?
Old 10-24-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It took about 3 months for the fog to begin to lift for me. I was not a binge drinker however I was a daily drinker for over 30 years. Everyone's recovery is different. As long as you abstain, eat right and drink lots of water, you should begin to have some clarity very soon.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you and that gives me hope.

Originally Posted by apollo986 View Post
It took about 3 months for the fog to begin to lift for me. I was not a binge drinker however I was a daily drinker for over 30 years. Everyone's recovery is different. As long as you abstain, eat right and drink lots of water, you should begin to have some clarity very soon.
I have been working out, running every day. I’m eating a lot better now and drinking tons of water. Thank you for replying. I never thought that this would happen to me. It’s really hard going on every day in a fog like this. Thank you
Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It gets better, the longer you're sober.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Blakekapetanis1

When I was a binger I never seem to get brain fog but like apollo it took me about three months by the time I'd ended up daily all day drinker.

The worst thing I ever did as a binge drinker was get used to things like brain fog and blackouts.

It will get better - so long as you stay off the booze
Of course if its worry you - see your Dr

D
Old 10-24-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't have brain fog when I was actively drinking (that I noticed) but I had it bad for a solid 6 months after I stopped.

It's kind of scary to think about the damage you can do to your brain!
Old 10-24-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
I didn't have brain fog when I was actively drinking (that I noticed) but I had it bad for a solid 6 months after I stopped.

It's kind of scary to think about the damage you can do to your brain!
I never experienced it until the next day durning the hang over witch I thought was normal. After that night I had not touched another drink. So after the 2nd day I was starting to get worried. Now it’s like a bad fog that comes over me and makes it hard to even think at some points. Feel like I have a hard time going threw the day with this brain fog.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
J50

You may want to talk to your doctor about supplementing with a B complex vitamin, and specifically Thiamine. Alcohol cessation can create havoc with the brain and neurotransmitters. There's a ton of literature on it and it could help you, at least in short term.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had brain fog in months 3 and 4 of my recovery and it was bad. I’ve written about it here on SR, I felt like the village idiot and my business partner commented that he would fire me if I weren’t a co-owner, lol! Eventually things got better - towards the six month mark, as I recall.
But here’s the good news: now, 15 months down the road, I feel sharp as a razor and in the last few months business has really ticked up as my clients appreciate the analytical work that I’m doing for them.
So short-term this all sucks, but the long-term payoff is awesome!
Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome

Almost completing months number five and I feel on and off but way better than the first three months.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My brain fog lasted for about three months after I got sober. Sleep didn't help, exercise didn't help but time did.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Blake, you might find the information in this thread helpful, although it is from last year so the original poster may no longer be posting:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-drinking.html (Constant Brain Fog and Fatigue After Binge Drinking)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After getting sober my brain fog lasted 4 month and then got better, after 5 month I was back to being "OK".

Interestingly, after 5,5 month I got a friend to visit and we smoked lots of cigars and slept short nights over the course of 3 days and nights. I did not drink one sip and I usually don't smoke, but occasionally a cigar. Because of these 3 days I got 3 weeks of massive brain fog back, complete lethargy, working memory problems. It is now getting better (again) after 4 weeks.
But more interesting, during these nicotine loaded days I was mentally extremely sharp. So, this worked unfortunately like a "binge".

As other forum members indicated it seems to depend on a certain level of brain chemicals that build up.

The only difference I saw in supporting this process by lifestyle changes and supplementation was to get away from sugar, that made a difference and sports for overall emotional wellbeing.

Also, I have been given some complementary information at a presentation on the “aging brain of elderly people” (listened to it because of my parents age) and I was told if you take proper supplements for brain health it takes three month to be effective, for instance omega 3. This figure seems to go hand in hand with the experience of lifting brain fog when getting sober.

What would be really interesting to know, which chemical(s) we are talking about e.g. dopamine and what to do to support building up these levels. And more important what NOT to do to "empty" this again.